Main Menu

Spa Refuelling?

Started by Andrew Bull, September 11, 2017, 17:15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Bull

Nick, please could you confirm if the Tuff Jug is accepted as the refuelling method for UK cars.  There appears to be some discussion on the Beligian facebook pages about manual pumps, etc. 

Cheers
Bully.
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Roy Eastwood

There is also this translation from French section Art.6

"For "Classic", the original tank can be used but must be filled with security foam."
"For
the other categories,
the original fuel tank must be replaced with a tank
FT3
-
1999, FT3.5 or FT5 meeting the FIA ​​specifications."

CANALISATIONS
-
RESERVOIRS
-
REMPLISSAGE DE CARBURANT
Réservoirs et
pompes de carburant

"Pour les « Classic », le réservoir d'origine peut être conservé mais il devra être rempli de mousse
de sécurité."
"Pour
les autres catégories,
le réservoir de carburant d'origine doit être remplacé par un réservoir
FT3
-
1999, FT3.5 ou FT5 répondant aux spécifications FIA."

coxm

Bully,

We run under our regs, so Tuff Jugs are specified for 602s.  I'm not sure what's specified for Hybrids

Best MC

Andrew Bull

There are still lots of discussion on the FB page. Search for "24h 2CV Racing Teams ASBL" in FB. 

Also if they are tightening the rules on refuelling will the earthing be required for UK.

Please check regulations from Belgium and clarify this ASAP as there may be some supplementary thing we are missing and may end up falling foul of the unusual way that the Belgians can sometimes operate, or introduce rules.  Also one assumes the C1's will also be using some form of Dry break?  Do they use Tuff Jugs too?  In which case Over half the field are at risk of this potential issue. 

Thanks Gents.

Andrew Bull

Roy Eastwood

Public link to C1 forum on the subject, I'm not a member but asked one of the C1 racers, he says same as their forum, who is our liaison?

Here's the link http://c1racing.club/forums/topic/refuelling-at-spa/

Nick Roads

Fuel tank - the rule Roy translated has always existed in 2CVRT regulations. UK cars have always run to their own rules for fuel tank and have used Tuff Jugs in the 5 years that I have been helping bring UK cars to Spa without problems.

Liaison - as per entry forms

Refueling - I will double check but none of the refueling rules have changed in any of the UK regulations for the 602, Hybride or C1's that I have seen from last year so would expect they are all fine using Tuff jugs. UK hybrides were approved to use them at Croix. Classiques were using the system Bully had seen at Croix and Dutch Dyane team also used it at Snetterton in testing and I assume during the race.

Andrew Bull

Just a concern that we were making an assumption that we would be running to our rules and assuming the RAC belgium havent decided they want something different. 

If everyone is clear then im happy.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew Bull

Marty

Quote from: Nick Roads on September 12, 2017, 21:54:37
[...]  Refueling -  [...]  Classiques were using the system Bully had seen at Croix and Dutch Dyane team also used it at Snetterton in testing and I assume during the race.

attached file = mandatory refueling system for Classiques, under 2CVRT 2017 rules

Trevor Williams

Someone needs to sort this out immediately! I can see nothing in the regulations or supplementary regulations that states that UK cars will use their refuelling method. If this is not the case, the organisers can kiss goodby a serious amount of money in entry fees. This effects all UK classes
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Nick Roads

Trevor - you should appreciate it is not easy to apply different sets of regulations to one event without it becoming a lawyers feast. There are various areas where the rules and regulations are not always clear. A good example being a major issue for the Belgian cars in 2017 where BARC decided to not allow radios for 2CVRT cars - these had been used every previous year. As a club it was difficult as we had no warning of this. In the end they were allowed.

As per my previous post we checked on the fueling question - it was confirmed yesterday by 2CVRT that all UK cars can use the Tuff Jugs for this year. Next year however 2CVRT are to apply the new fuelling criteria to all invited classes which race with them which are those broadly described on facebook. I have passed it on to the technical committee so they can update members on this for 2018.

wilbot

It seems as Nick say's that Tuffjugs will be acceptable for this year, other groups are in the same fix. It seems like the whole fuel filling and tank type needs a good look at  to make sure that for next year cars are compliant well before the event. Safety move's on and no matter how flat earth people want to be rules are made with good intention.

Trevor Williams

I'd like someone to explain to me how a hand-cranked pistol-grip fuel pump connected to a 60 litre drum of fuel is safer that a 20 litre dry-break tuff jug???
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Roy Eastwood

That club have a fairly good history of weird & destructive rule changes.
Quote from: Trevor Williams on September 15, 2017, 10:45:15
I'd like someone to explain to me how a hand-cranked pistol-grip fuel pump connected to a 60 litre drum of fuel is safer that a 20 litre dry-break tuff jug???