Main Menu

This years SPA 24 hour race

Started by wilbot, October 24, 2017, 19:18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Crook

Quote from: Steve Panas on October 29, 2017, 04:00:18
:DSimon and others,
Spa has only 98 grid slots to start a race. 108 qualifiers meant that the last 10 spots had to be from the pitlane.
Steve

thanks Steve that makes sense now thank you
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Marty

Sorry, Steve, the circuit has 98 grid slots in the "Endurance" straight line, but dozens more on "F1" the straight line. (cf Funcup)
If the C1 had started from the "F1" straight line, all 2CV could have taken a normal start of "24H 2CV" race.
Whether in the technical regulation, the sporting regulations, or the special regulations, in no place, nowhere, there is mention of this restriction to 98 grid slots...
And in any case, the organizers would have had to warn only one hour before.

Nick Roads

Hi Marty - not heard from you as yet. We are only guests at Spa so best to direct these questions to 2CVRT ?

Crisis UK hybride car no 52 completed the whole race with only 4 minutes in the pits in the entire race. It did not run out of fuel, all its wheels stayed on, not a panel was dented and appears to have finished in the condition it started so had a great race (:

Some good footage below of the start by Louis Tyson. The car was very tricky to drive in the wet but a lot better in the dry, started 72nd as quali was in the wet... a great drive by Louis

https://youtu.be/EjTVpp5dLjc

Alec Graham

Neat work Louis..

The Zucchini didn't fancy you round the outside at Blanchimont

Good driving.

Mick Storey

Spa is the best track in the world and good value for UK cars. I do not understand why more cars do not take it up, equally, why don't the Classiques come to the UK, I'm sure a good encouraging deal could be had. The C1s weren't a problem for me and I'm delighted how reliable our car was. That's the 10th 24 hour race that engine has done (and the second behind the MIM gearbox - thanks). I love Spa

gadget

Ten 24hour races on one engine!
You're either not racing,or that's a bent engine

Martin Harrold

2CV Team LION are already planning to run at least one 602 at Spa in 2018. Interested drivers - please get in touch. Looking for clarification on fuelling rules and advice on the best radio.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Nick Roads

Martin - 2018 Spa 24 Hour may be a couple of weeks later than this year.

As you note there have been some communications about refuelling with 2CVRT. These arose as the Belgian equivalent of the MSA and Spa has a lot of endurance races so sometimes we get caught up with problems from other races and they wanted to mandate a different system for non FIA approved refuelling.

2CVRT have raised the possibility of Tuff Jugs staying on for 2018 with the scrutineers and I have offered that we can make a submission on it if required. It only affects Belgium and Tuff jugs not a problem in France.

Worth noting that the scrutineers in Belgium like in UK are independent of the race organisers.

Fire extinguishers were, again, a problem. The extinguishers must have an official test sticker and this must show they have been tested within the last 2 years of a race.
MSA tightening up on this as well and it is going to be mandatory next year apparently in UK:

https://www.msauk.org/assets/rulechangesoctober2017.pdf
' All extinguishers must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, or every 24 months, whichever is sooner' it was recommended before

for the technically minded read Appendix 3 of the above ..below quoting the reason for the Appendix 3 rule change
Reason: To adopt FIA fire
extinguisher regulations from 2019,
whilst allowing existing vehicles to
use their non-FIA extinguishers until
2022, at least two service cycles.
The extinguisher manufacturers
have confirmed that they will no
longer be producing no-FIA systems
due to the small market, FIA
systems are now of comparable cost
and size-weight to non-FIA systems.

This seems to have been behind the other problem we had in that there was a lot of issues around 'anti torpedo' for the brackets. This caused problems for teams from all countries. The anti torpedo rules having checked are a bit simpler than what we were trying to manufacture at Spa ! and for £ 30 can be bought from Demon tweeks etc
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fire-extinguisher-retaining-brackets-straps/lifeline-fia-approved-anti-torpedo-extinguisher-bracket-with-t-bolt-straps
Seems the Belgians were applying:
* From 01/01/2016 All FIA Technical List 16 extinguishers MUST be fitted to brackets with Anti-Torpedo Tabs as FIA Appendix J Article 253.7.2.2 Published 10/07/2015.

So I would suggest for 2018 all extinguishers must have been serviced within 2 years of every race and would get a bracket like the one above if using extinguishers for races in any country

Rosie and MIM used radios which seemed to work well but not sure what they were.