Main Menu

Sadev

Started by Roy Eastwood, December 29, 2017, 16:21:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Eastwood

Just noticed that SADEV sequential gearboxes for BMW motor in 2cv are available at the pre-increase price of just €8000.00 + vat until 8th Jan 2018, OUCH. See the 2cvrt facebook page.

wilbot

Hi Roy it's good to see that you are considering the cost's of building a BMW Hybrid. No need to buy a Sadev or similar expensive gearbox. The 2CV box is a bit stretched coping with the BMW's grunt and work is still going on to cure the problems that arise. Your comment has drawn me to expose my solution that I have been working on for a couple of months a little before I wanted to, however here go's. The answer lies in your local car knacker yard VW Passat or Audi 5 & 6 speed gearboxes for about £50 are easily available a bit of thought and a friendly machinist can turn the box from out board disc braked to inboard disc and a bit of dexterity with the grinder can turn it from a forward facing starter motor to the conventional 2CV position. The mod also gives the opportunity to modify the other weak link in the drive train the drive shafts but we will save that for another day.

I know the club only let us race in Europe but I never fell for Boris's bollocks about a hospital a week any way.

Pictures attached

Roy Eastwood

Interesting conversion Colin, will save 2cv gearbox failure at Spa etc. for sure.

wilbot

We should make that a maybe Roy I've not tried it yet. On the drive shaft front SOME Vauhall Corsa outer's have bigger ball's and the same spline so logic say's they should ? be stronger. 

Francis Rottenburg

Can I say with the greatest of admiration and all the best wishes for the New Year to all the 2cv addicts out there - you are completely and utterly bonkers!!  Love this stream of madness.  Xx

Nick Roads

In last 4 years there has been at least one 2cv gearbox last the race in the UK Hybrides. Caryl's car 36 box did 2 x 24 Hours and all the internals were fine. Not surprising to have some problems with the gearboxes given all the extra power.

The 2cv gearbox in my car was faultless at Spa and no oil leak at all in 2017 - thanks to a few Mr Pembro mods which cost around £600 including a full service and race prep from a decent donor box. Attached picture is from my car after the race with engine removed and nothing cleaned, note we had welded up between the bottom lugs and filled the space for the drum brakes to strengthen the box.

Interesting to see alternatives but planning to stick with the 2CV gearbox and the BMW in my hybride for 2018.

wilbot

I'm not advocating the hybrid owners rush out to their local scrappie and start carving gearboxes in fact I have a 2CV box with Rick for refurbishment at the moment one that for reasons unknown lubricated the wet track at Spa with it's oil. My effort is to try an alternative gearbox that allows the unleashing of the BMW power reliably when the engine is running without restrictors this will allow the car to be used in hillclimbs and other events open to us.
The potential of having a a better spread of gear ratio's substantially more construction strength and better cooling for the wider spaced brakes has yet to be proved. You can't blame a chap for trying.

The video of Louis going down to second gear into the bus stop at Spa is testament to the strength of your 2CV box.

Happy New year to all 2CV racers 602's and us on the dark side