Main Menu

Jon Davis

Started by Martin Harrold, November 26, 2017, 18:10:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

All:

Jon Davis

I have to convey the very sad news that Jon Davis died today. It is believed that he was travelling back from the Mettet Circuit in Belgium. He was in some discomfort and pulled into a service area on the M25. There he had a massive heart attack.

Jon has been a Club member for many years and was a friend to lots of us and known to many more. He was always his own man. He raced 2CV's on and off for many, many, years, most recently in this years Snet 24 Hour and at the Spa 24 Hour. An accountant by training, he had an amazing technical knowledge of all kinds of vehicles, including our Citroen 2CV's. His extended garden was a treasure trove of old vehicles of all kinds. Lately he had given big USA cars a go with several outings in racing versions of the Mustang and similar.

We have passed condolences to his neighbour and long time friend, Tiggy Reeve.

He will be much missed.

MH

2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Maisie

Shocking and very sad news. I'd never had a chance to get to know him until Spa this year but he seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke.
Blueberry Tart ;)

Chris Hall

What really sad news. I really enjoyed being a team member with him at Spa.

wilbot

Tragic news Jon was a great asset to our effort in the hybrid world knowledgeable reliable and undaunted by problems he will be sadly missed as friend and team member.

Family Wilson

Chris Yates

Very sad news. I didn't know him well, but we shared a car at this year's Spa race and I'd just got to know him a little better. A good man and a very interesting character. He'll be missed.

Pete Sparrow

This is really sad news. Jon was a good friend and has helped me out of many deep holes in the past, that is the sign of a good friend.
He has been part of the furniture at Team Lion for years. Its not going to be the same.
RIP Jon, you will be very missed.
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

gadget

Very sad news indeed.
It is unbelievable that only a. Week or two ago he was in Spa and actively involved.
To learn this is quite shocking.

coxm

I'm very sad to hear this - he drove my car in 2016 the 24hr and was a great help getting everything ready for the race.

As Martin says, we will miss him.

Roy Eastwood

He'll be missed, sad loss , one of life's better characters.

Marty

Martin Harrold

Marty: Thanks for finding that article. It was written by Ed Foster, who was then with Motor Sport magazine. He is now managing the websites for the Goodwood motoring festivals. He was an excellent driver. His words about Jon near the end sum him up very well. If in doubt, he would always 'go for it'.
2CV Team LION

Marc Fenner

Martin Harrold

I will post arrangements for Jon's funeral here as soon as I know more.

Does anyone have any record of when he started racing with the Club? I recall him racing at Stowe. And has anyone any photos of him, rather than the car? Any other interesting or anecdotal info welcome. We want to do an obituary on the website, and send it to Autosport. I am sure Tiggy and his sister will like to read it.
2CV Team LION

Mick Storey

I remember him being very "prominent" when we did the nude calendar at Silverstone. Not sure how you fit that into an obituary

Trevor Williams

Just seen this awful news.... RIP Jon
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!