Main Menu

Race Car For Sale

Started by Martin S, December 11, 2017, 22:58:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin S

I have for sale what is in all senses a mechanically new car. I was gifted the car many years ago as part my therapy whilst my wife was dying by Keith Shoebridge. It ran with Keith for several years and whilst I did manage to get it into the top 10 in a race at Mallory it did suffer from electrical problems and reliability problems. Keith went off and had a new car professionally built and he gave me the old car - all I had to do was go and collect it from Snet where it had been abandoned after the 24 hrs. As a seasoned race car builder of 40 years plus I had an idea of what I wanted to achieve - as light as I could get it, each and every component was examined for wear and if it could be lightened without compromising strength.
I stripped it to a bare shell the hard way - heat gun and scraper! Much new metal was fitted as require including- windscreen panel, bulkhead panel,  boot floor, 1 sill, rear panel and panels between it and the rear wings, alloy roof. resprayed BRG and Renault yellow - classic Lotus colours!
1 piece complete front end with very, very light fiberglass wings all held on with 4 nuts removeable in 15 seconds!
New flush plexi windows and new laminated screen.
Custom built loom - not a modified std loom - each circuit fused and relayed if required. All electrical control boxes in cab in the dry. Every connection soldered and covered with heat shrink. Every loom to component connection with OE standard water tight connectors.
Front and rear axles shot blasted, painted and rebuilt with new bearings. Steering rack treated the same way. New wheel bearings all round. New rear brakes complete. Front arms by Gardners but re-engineered by me with swivel pins. New steering arms and joints.
New brake lines ft to rear and airoquips.
Quick release steering wheel.
New seat and belts - need to check dates but they have never been used (cost me over £750 on their own!)
2 fresh race engines with optimized pistons and barrels, Appleby balanced cranks, lightened flywheels, new clutches. 'Long' cam followers. Running on solex but new Weber included (needs jetting) on properly modified and flowed manifold. 1 of the crank cases is stress relieved and internally polished to aid oil recovery to the sump.
Gear box 1 race from new. 1 set of Vulcan heads with F3 valves and springs, I set with club valves and springs.
3500lb springs in custom made spring cans, new rods with new extended rod ends with grease nipples and inserts. Knife edges replaced with shouldered bolts to remove unwanted movement in suspension.
Underbody air flow management in alloy to suck hot air out of engine bay and under car.
I spent years building this car and much lateral thinking. However I have realized that I am never going to have the money to run the car - and my new lady knows that if I get behind the wheel I'll get to like it and we will never have any money - again. Has been in my garage on stands for 4 years and needs to go.
Massive amount of spares including 2 engines (1 in bits), gearbox,
NEW in boxes - 2 sets new pistons and barrels, balanced crank, flywheels, clutches, plugs, leads, coil packs, electrical components, alternators (several new), and many, many more parts. You really need to come and look.
Hundreds, may be thousands spent with ECAS over the years.
Some body panels inc rear wings and bonnet,
Fuel churn etc.
Give me a call, come and see it, make me a sensible offer!
Martin Sadler 07867 798680. Buckingham (very near to Silverstone)