Main Menu

Jon Davis’s Car

Started by Richard Knight, August 28, 2018, 20:18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Knight

So today I bought Jon Davis's old race 2cv. It's in a pretty bad shape but hope to get it built for next season.

So I apologise now for asking any stupid questions as I will no doubt need advice, help etc in the coming months.

I'm not a mechanic but have been around these cars since I was 17. I intend to enter the Eco class.

My first job will be to repair the body as I think it will need floors, sills, front bulkhead, bonnet hinge, inner rear wings.

On the plus side it does have a roll cage and roof !

Any offers of help with welding would be most welcome!

Thanks

Rich
Richard Knight

Richard Knight

So first question

What size fire extinguisher do I need. It's a bit vague in the blue book.

Cheers
Rich

Chris Yates

First, you need floors to mount the extinguisher to ;)

On a more helpful note, you're gonna need an FIA system when it's all ready. Something like this: https://www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk/car-prep/fire-extinguishers/plumbed-in-fire-extinguishers/mechanical/lifeline-zero-2000-4-0ltr-mechanical-fire-marshal.html would be good.

Richard Knight

Thanks guys.

Picked up the car today......lots and lots of work needed!

Would post a picture, but not sure how to do it.

Rich

Richard Knight

Richard Knight

All

I am unfortunately writing this having been very unwell for the last month.
I started getting unwell at the start of October with flu like symptoms which then developed. A week later I passed out whilst coughing and face planted the floor. I had mild cuts to my head etc which has healed ok. So after trips to A&E, Ambulances and numerous hospital and doctors visits I have been diagnosed with post viral bronchitis with cough syncope. I have blacked out now approximately 16 times in two weeks. I'm still passing out even today. Apparently it's not dangerous and I come round in seconds and it only happens when I have a coughing fit. They have put me on steroids in the hope that it cures the bronchitis.
The Doctor yesterday said that cough syncope is a DVLA notifying illness and that in his opinion it's a 12 month driving ban. However the advice on the website is a little vague, so I am writing to the DVLA to see what they say.
Unfortunately this will probably mean that I won't be able to finish building the race car, nor be able to drive in next years season.
I won't be able to attend the dinner dance either. I had booked and paid for a room at the hotel which was non refundable. If you can sell it on for any money, I'd be grateful.
I am absolutely devastated by this news as you can imagine.
Please extend my apologies to everyone.
Kind regards
Richard
Richard Knight

Neal

The car will wait, hope you get well soon.