Main Menu

Mallory race in 1989 - anybody got an entry list for that?

Started by kinchieman, February 22, 2019, 11:07:05

Previous topic - Next topic

kinchieman

Has anybody got the entry list for that first race (or other races that year) - let's see who is still around!

Neil McDonald, Glenkinchie, Scotland

Paul

I would think Paul Taylor or Pete are our best hope of seeing that.

gadget

Royce Grey may also have some info on that.
Think it would be an idea to get in touch with him anyway as he was the race winner.

Roy Eastwood

I've got entry lists for most in 1989 (but not 1st Mallory), my first was Pembrey but narrowly missed Snetterton, drove there in the race car and arrived as the start flag raised.  :-[

Quote from: kinchieman on February 22, 2019, 11:07:05
Has anybody got the entry list for that first race (or other races that year) - let's see who is still around!

kinchieman

I know Graham Harper did some of those "experimental" races - I bought his car at the end of what we thought was that season only for the club to arrange an extra race at Donington later on. I got a panicked phone call from Graham asking if I had moved the seat mounting bolts to suit my longer legs yet, on hearing that I hadn't he said "see you in 2 hours" and turned up at the door with his trailer to borrow the car back!  He had a soft spot for Donington after racing there many times in assorted vintage cars and duly put the car on pole, only for the exhaust to fall off on the warm-up lap...  That car is "Wee Fiona" now with the Hollis team, are there any other cars as well as drivers from that first year still around too?

Neil McDonald, Glenkinchie, Scotland.

Paul

I have most of the Rollcage from Mr Sparrow's car,apart from the sidebars which are in O'keefe's "Stealth".

kinchieman

I would bet on some of the panels on Derek Coghill's car being from that era as well...

Derek Coghill

The yellow rear door on it came from the car that Andrew had bought. A front door from Norry's and a wing from Milena's, too.

Pete Sparrow

I have the entry list for that race somewhere here. I think I also have the program.
Unfortunately someone has tidied my office and now I can't find anything. I will find it and post the entrants.
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Matthew Hollis

Pete I've still got your folder if that is what you are looking for? I've also got all of Tim's archive as well - some day I am going to try and scan it all in!

I've had a look in both and I've got the write up from the Mallory program announcing it was the first ever race, plus an article from Motorsport News just before the meeting, but sadly no obvious list of starters or the full program either. There is one entry list which could potentially be it but there seems to be quite a lot of people on it.

I've got the program for the 3rd race, which confusingly was also at Mallory Park but in August, and that contains a little bit of information about the race race, but only really that Royce Grey won it, Darryl Stokes set the fastest lap, and Mr Sparrow finished 4th. I'll scan them in and upload them when I get a chance this week.

Pete Sparrow

Matt
I have another folder here which I did as a hand round to potential sponsors, needless to say I got bugger all. The best bit is that because my writing is so poor I typed it. It took ages.
I'm sure the data we need is there. I can still name most of the people in the video that turned up from that first race on YouTube. I need a new hobby.
I will try and sort it out and scan it.
I still have my helmet and my race overalls from that first race.
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Christine Savage

No paperwork I'm afraid... but Ed Mason did tell me that he drove Stinky in the first race at Mallory.  She was red in those days, he later painted her pink she she became Pinky Stinky.  When Carl Burger bought her she as painted purple, then David Hopwood painted her black.  Where the bootlid is chipped at the edges, all those layers of paint can been seen so I am pretty sure that my bootlid and roll cage at least were in the first race.