Main Menu

What lights?????

Started by Simon Crook, March 12, 2019, 18:22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Crook

Not sure if it should be in the technical section although its for the 24hr:

So some of you may remember me I raced once or twice in the series, and a couple of 24hr races at Snetterton (before you all got sent to North Wales) so here is a question what spot/driving lamps are we all using now then, when we did it we where using HID's have you all moved onto LED's now, are you all using standard headlights or has someone found a light that fits in our light bowls (think thats the right term - there yellow with DHL written on them on our car) also I read somewhere we have to run some sort of red battery lights on the rear now what we using of that then? I know so many questions.

thanks

Simon
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Paul

There is everything out there Simon,the extra lights on the back are not compulsory.

Chris Yates

The 2CV headlamp bowl is (approximately) 5.75", which is similar to some Harley-Davidson lights. You can get rather snazzy dedicated LED units for Harleys these days.

Failing that, the old classic of "buy Valeo H4 units from Roy, then stick LED H4 units in from eBay" still works. Beam pattern not ideal. Also they're expensive and LHD, technically.

Then there are a few other replacement reflector units available, again from eBay. I've used the "crystal H4" units before. Either 6" or 5.75". I originally ended up hacking the old Cibie reflectors up and glueing the new crystal units into those. Beam pattern was perfect though!

Chris Yates

I should also point out that not many, if any, people use HIDs anymore. The advantage of LEDs is that they're usually an all-in-one solution these days - no need for ballast units that the HIDs needed. Startup time is quicker, they're less flickery. I usually go for the H4 all-in-one LEDs with between 2000-3000 lumens per bulb

Simon Crook

thanks I still have our Hid auxiliary lights, ones with the built in ballasts which are quite big, good but big i was just seeing what the norm was now as we haven't done a 24hr since 2013  :o
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING