Main Menu

Cadwell and Snetterton

Started by gadget, May 26, 2020, 11:11:22

Previous topic - Next topic

gadget

Hi everyone, hope you have all managed to stay safe and be Lerts to the best of your abilities!
Our new club spokesperson has sent me this morning the MSV event info for Cadwell so he's convinced that the event will be going ahead. That of course does ultimately depend on one or two bodies making statements.
Team Gadget Racing will not be attending Cadwell, Snetterton or any other events this year based on safety and health reasons primarily. We don't feel that after all the hard work done across the country, the sacrifices that have been made by many and the potential risks involved in a mass gathering that it is fair or responsible to attend either event when it could play a part in undoing what has so far been achieved.
We look forward to seeing you all again in 2021 with a grid full of shiney cars!
For those that are going to be racing at Cadwell and Snetterton, I hope you all enjoy yourselves, and be Lerts.
Gadget

Graz

I think I have to agree with Gadget. I feel Cadwell is far too soon and it appears they are adding other series to the meeting. With social distancing and all the new ways that need enforcing they should be looking at less series rather than more. It's also too soon for us to commit to the 24hr at the moment as social distancing when we will need to share a garage with 1 or 2 other teams and having a crew from 4 or 5 households ourselves it's not practical at the moment.

All the best everyone

Marc Grasby

Aubrey Brocklebank

Several People have told me they re definitely not going to Cadwell for all the usual reasons. I cannot help wondering if the club should be ensuring that they don't pay for the races off no one is going to turn up?

Also MSV will not allow two people who do not live in the same house to share a car so will be able to share a car at Snetterton let alone Mallory?

Keep safe
Aubrey

gadget

I am surprised by the lack of  response by club members here.
We as a club may or may not be going to Cadwell. If we don't, we need to be talking to Barc. If we are going, no not we, if the club are committed, we stand to potentially lose a lot of money.
Money which has been used sensibly over the last few years since we have been paying for track time.
If we finish up in a situation where the club has to pay Barc for a meeting that is well under subscribed the club may well be in a position next year where it cannot fund meetings in the way we have been able to the last few years.
The Barc seems to have adopted this system for the future and if we get ourselves into a financial situation where we will not be able to up front fund our racing, we may not be racing.
I think club members, racers and the board need to think very carefully about what they want at the moment as a rash decision now might have a major impact on where the club is in the next couple of years.
I'm sorry if this seems like doom and gloom, but we as a club need to be sensible and look at the bigger picture.
Just because a few people want to do a couple of meetings this year, it could easily put into jeopardy whether we race in the future

Trevor Williams

First and foremost, it doesn't matter whether MSV will let two people from different households share a car, that is their rules for trackdays, you would be racing under a MSUK permit, their rules and guidance, which is freely available on the MSUK website. These are being discussed at the next MSUK board meeting on 3rd June I think. so are subject to change, especially as I know a lot of officials have very pertinant questions about them

BARC are closed until at least 1st June, so don't expect an announcement anytime before then

Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Nick Roads

We had a Board Meeting a couple of weeks ago and it was agreed that we would continue with the agreed race at Cadwell and the 24 Hour at Snetterton. We had not changed any of the plans made over the winter as agreed at the AGM other than to offer refunds for the Sprint championship and the first 3 races which we had cancelled in line with MSA and BARC advice.

The club exists to go racing. There were a lot of discussions in the last few years about its governance, status as a company and its purpose. The message I always took was members want to just go racing in 2CV's, keep it simple.

There are many scenarios that may happen before either event and as noted in this thread lot of these are out of our control.

Cadwell - its not going to be a full grid but we have drivers and cars that want to take part in what may be the only sprint race of the year. The Board will do all it can to support its members desire to go racing. It is likely to result in a 'loss' for that event but we may see that recovered later in the year, or indeed in 2021, when the next Sprint race date is agreed by the Board; the commitment shows how determined we are to go racing.

Trackdays are starting across the country next week. There was a lot of chatter on social media about whether they can or should happen. Javelin saw their dates all sell out for June in hours, they are working with Cadwell amongst other circuits and there clearly is demand from many to get back on a race track.

Snetterton - there are teams that won't be able to make it, we note and understand why and some of those views are expressed here. There are others however who are very supportive of the club running the race and believe they can manage to be covid prepared and participate. They want a little more time to understand the issues around the 24 Hour race which are obviously different from Sprint racing so nothing is certain. We are working hard to find out the likely numbers who want to race and to discuss with any new teams looking at entering in 2CV and Mini Grand. So please bear with the Club as it gathers all the information it can and we will update more in early July.

Nick

gadget

I accept and understand all tat you have said Nick. I just don't at this moment in time believe that it sensible to just use the member's money to race as a minority grid.
No one wants to be racing more than TGR.
But let's be realistic. The season is 3/4s done. There is nothing to gain from going to Cadwell and Snetterton, but thee is a lot to loose!!
I WOULD RATHER FORSAKE CADWELL AND SNETTERTON THIS YEAR.
to have money in the club to be racing next year and beyond.
This is uncharted territory as far as racing is concerned, but we are not touring cars or F1.
If the club decides to go ahead just to race under restriction, it may regret it next yeay when we can't afford  to pay upfront to get a grid.
As I said no one is keener to be out there, but the club does need it's finances, which it has now. If it wastes them we may be in the position of a few F1 teams, not racing Quick cars
Maybe not racing  f---all!

Aubrey Brocklebank

First and Foremost it is not who legislates but whether you feel safe racing. I have been surprised how many have told me they will not be unless the Corona intuition improves greatly.

I do not think it is responsible for the board to deliberately organise a race if they know they will lose several thousand pounds just so they and a few others can go racing.

A quick poll of the likes racers should ascertain how many drivers will be out.  BARC can give us the last day to cancel without financial penalty ...then the board can take an informed decision

Given the numbers involved (presumably no foreign entries) this will be a big number for the 24 hour race.

Keep safe

Aubrey

gadget

Hi all, I was thinking along the same lines as Aubrey.
Having read the minutes from the last board meeting, it seems that the most logical thing to do is do a poll of the teams to see who is going to commit to the 24hours. That way you assertain the maximum number of cars that will enter.
That has got to be better than deciding what the minimum number of cars the board is prepared to commit to the race with. And in turn how much of the clubs money they are prepared to waste.
From my point of view, and the several members and teams I have spoken to, this season is all but over and if there were races they are not going to be much fun. I think I speak for most people when I say that we do go racing, forFUN.
If the club is going to waste several thousand pounds, then I for 1 would rather waste it on getting as many cars on the grid next year than subsidising 10 cars to do the 24hours this year.
The club does need money behind it to be able to run and pay up front for meetings.
There may be quite a lot of people next year that may not be able to afford to race, therefor reducing the grid numbers. Would it not be better to help more onto the grid next year that to help less onto the grid this year?

gadget

maybe I should have posted this  in the 24hour race catagory.
But I'm sure most people will read it hear.
It just needs people to put forward their views so that the board can act in the best way.
Gadget