Main Menu

Just bought a car

Started by Derek Coghill, July 24, 2020, 20:12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Coghill

...or, rather, what's left of one. It last turned a wheel in the 24hr race at Mondello in 1998 and managed 60-odd laps and being unclassified at the end. We bought it from the widow of its owner (Alex Marr), who also said that a chap called Wood was the money behind the team. 1998 was my first 24hr and I hadn't got the knack of picking up information sheets from race control, so I have no idea who the drivers were apart from Alex Marr.

He brought it home after the race and parked it where it's still sitting.

Anyone know anything about it/them?

Alec Graham

they had a 485 lap penalty for dropping a V8 in
so they did more laps than the results show...... no wonder it looked so tired.. are you going to fix it up and put it back on the track Derek??

"Where there was joy for some there was disappointment for other. The Lotus Motor Club entry (Car 5) was disqualified from its provisional 5th place following scrutineering. Alex Marr's team (Car 17) had 485 lap penalty added due to changed engine that failed to satisfy the officials. All hearts went out to the Bedwyn 2CV Club (Car 38) who's car caught fire 3 laps from the end and failed to finish. It received one of the loudest cheers, however, as it was brought home though the pits by the rescue team"

Derek Coghill

It has no floors, no sills and not much chassis! No; chop chop and into the van.

Matthew Hollis

I've had a look through the archive I'm looking after and have found a few bits of info you might be interested in.

The team was known as Team Woody originally and the person called Wood I think was probably David Woodward. The car only appears to have raced in the 24hr, first time the team makes an appearance is in 1996, but the car is no. 23 on this occasion so may not be the same vehicle. In 1996 the drivers were Richard Dean, Robin Parsons, Ian Barnwell and David Woodward. They finished 17th out of 35, 61 laps down but had run mostly in the top 6 for the majority of the race.

Team Woody then appear again in 1997, this time in car no. 17 so that is almost certainly the one you have bought. Team manager was Nick Jeffcoate, drivers were Alex Marr, Mike Smart and Fred Powell. They finished 17th out of 32, 97 laps down.

In 1998 the team are entered as Alex Marr, with the same three drivers but a different team manager, Richard Fensone. As you know they were penalised 485 laps for fitting an illegal engine during the race so ended up not classified. Without the penalty they would have been 27th out of 37, 106 laps down.

Derek Coghill

Very helpful, thanks. There's a "Woody" number plate on the back and some very faded painting on the rear door.

Derek Coghill

I copied all that and showed it to Alex's widow; she was interested, as there were folk involved that she'd forgotten about, and asked if she could keep my notes. Thank you for your digging!

Sean

One of the engines was well dodgy! just sayin  ;)

Probably the penalty engine ground and lightened rocker gear , scalloped spring caps etc.