Main Menu

New fire extinguisher regulations from 1st January 2022

Started by Matthew Hollis, November 13, 2021, 08:45:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Hollis

Hidden away on page 16 of the latest MSA Revolutions issue (attached) is a piece about new fire extinguisher regulations that will affect us from next year onwards. In classic MSA style they have given some of the information but have left you to work out what it all means! As far as I can tell what they are trying to say is:
- Your plumbed in system needs to be one that appears on the FIA lists 16 and 52 (attached)
- It needs to be fitted as per the new regulations that apply from 1st January 2022 (which it may well be already) (appendix 3 attached)
- It needs to be serviced by the manufacturer or an agent of the manufacturer

I don't know if this really changes anything over our current rules, maybe one for the technical committee to advise on!?

Chris Yates

Well spotted Matt! This has been coming for a while, particularly the FIA approved bit, which means everyone has to fit the much bigger 'torpedo' bottles, rather than the 2.25 litre bottles we could get away with this year and before. That's been in the pipeline for a few years now

I haven't looked at the Jan 22 update, but I'm guessing there will be some rules maybe about fitment of nozzles, which(from memory) was a bit vague previously.

But yes, I'm guessing most people need to look at their systems before next season!

Nigel Hollis

Would it be possible for the club to try & negotiate a bulk buy price if this is going to affect most members?

Chris Yates

We're looking into a bulk purchase through Demon Tweeks at the moment, Nigel.

It'd be this system: https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/spa-design-mechanical-4-0-ltr-saloon-fire-extinguisher-steel-bottle-p-emfm400s-4/

4 nozzles in total, which is a little more manageable for a 2CV than 6 or 8 with some systems! and it's cheaper at Tweeks than other places currently (Advantage Motorsport have them at £260 inc vat. Tweeks is £231 inc vat.

It's already a reasonably good price, but if there's any discount for getting them in bulk, I'll post here when we find out!

Paul

Aubrey Brocklebank

We buy and service our fire extinguishers through a place in Coventry (Martin will have the details) Much as I luv Demon Weeks they did teach the light brigade to charge!

A
Aubrey

Paul

According to the new money making rules the extinguisher and nozzles must be sent back to the manufacturer OR their agent for service. Try posting a fire extinguisher!

Chris Yates

Due to the difficulties in choosing a system that would have a reasonable-length homologation, be of reasonable cost (with good enough discount), and be easy to find a servicing agent - we have decided not to organise a bulk-buy as a club.

Please though do think about getting a new system for next year if your current system doesn't appear on the lists that Matthew posted originally on this topic.

Glenn Oswin

Hi, I purchased this system when i had to replace my 2.25L  and the company has been excellent, replacing parts with no charge etc and they last 12 years of service not 10.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393234761950?hash=item5b8e9e48de:g:2CsAAOSwmXteNGGs

nick nice toes

That is the same system as I fitted apart from the trigger on mine being electrically operated.
Great customer service and very easy to deal with.
Would highly recommend.

Paul

Quote from: Glenn Oswin on December 08, 2021, 22:39:02
Hi, I purchased this system when i had to replace my 2.25L  and the company has been excellent, replacing parts with no charge etc and they last 12 years of service not 10.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393234761950?hash=item5b8e9e48de:g:2CsAAOSwmXteNGGs

16 years now according to the listing.