Main Menu

Four motions for AGM

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 11:59:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Martin H on October 03, 2004 at 15:00:42:

Dear all,

Please find below four motions which are being put forward for discussion at the AGM. Each is proposed by me and seconded by Roy Eastwood.

Changes to Technical Regulations:

1) Change the regulations on cams to read 'Cams are free'
Proposed by Martin Harrold, seconded by Roy Eastwood
Comment: This would technically allow in 'billet' cams and in theory would increase costs. However, there are downstream effects on other components, which makes this route rather complex. This motion is likely to get voted down, simply on the basis that many members fear the idea of billet cams raising costs.

2) Change the regulation on cams to read 'The cam grinding is free. The origin of the cam as a Citroen 2CV part to be clear and obvious. No vernier allowed'.
Comment: This would mean that any entrant could go to any of the cam grinders who would probably offer a choice of three grinds, all for about the same cost as the current club cam. The entrant would have to decide the level of risk he is prepared to accept. Assuming the current 14 regular runners don't vote en-masse for the status quo, then this may get voted through, as it allows users of the current Club cam to carry on, with roughly similar performance.
This change would also allow future flexibility and it encourages newcomers to come onto the back of the grid, with a perfectly standard engine, if they wish. That takes the racing back to the true spirit of the club. It also allows engine tuners to use their own ideas to add speed and reliability.

Changes to the Sporting Regulations:

3) New rule be added. The wording to read 'The 24 Hour race organising group to be given the freedom to make reasonable minor changes to the technical and sporting regulations, if in their view, such changes will help maximise the number of cars starting the 24hr race'.
Comment: Getting a full grid for the 24hr race is essential to its future prosperity and continuity. Last year, several cars had to be turned away because rules voted at the AGM, 10 months earlier, were considered to be inflexible. Circumstances can change as the race date approaches and some flexibility would be useful to the organising group. Instances of flexibility might include allowing cars with standard or '03' engines to start the race, and to allow a number of 'Belgian' series cars to be invited to enter.

4) New rule to be inserted: 'The Technical Committee to review the possibility of a weight handicap system being introduced. Trials to be carried out. Once a considered proposal has been prepared, then an e-mail vote is to be taken, only to be actioned if 75% + of the paid-up members vote and 66% of those voting are be in favour'.
Comment: This is one way of closing up the fields during the season. It may be possible to consult with Alan Gow of TOCA, on the system they use.

Somewhat inconveniently, I'm taking my summer holiday rather late this year and it clashes with the AGM. I've delegated my vote to Dicky Dawes who, with Roy Eastwood, supports all these motions.

Best regards, Martin H