Main Menu

Increasing Active Members

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 12:06:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Terry Collier on October 08, 2004 at 14:47:10:

Why do people want to go racing? An interesting question isn't it? However if we are trying to sell 2CV Racing to new people, thus raising Grid numbers, perhaps we might do better to find the answer to this question. Only when we know the answer to this fundamental question can we start to discover what we currently do offer and more importantly what we do not. Do we need to change or do we just need to make more people aware of what the formula has to offer?

We do have a real marketable offering. Compared to other forms of motor racing, including Karts, we are the least expensive. Regardless of the constant carping about the cost of a cam, I would find it impossible to spend the money efficiently that friends of mine spend on Caterhams, Minis, TVR, Karts and others. So as an entry point to the world of competitive motor racing 2CV Racing starts with a plus.

However, motor racing is expensive and available income is important when you start to think about who we could attract. Young single people are probable, older post kids people are possible, married with families will have problems, people connected to the motor trade are probable. The profiles are not so many to present a difficult marketing challenge. It is even possible to include one person to provide the car with another person taking care of the driving, which could open the door for the parent market. Harold and I would fit into this profile.

OK so we are relatively speaking low cost to someone who is keen to try racing. In addition we offer the maximum test of driving ability. 2CV Racing is not about brute power it is about whether you can handle the car. Follow my leader is not a rule. With our combination of power and road holding overtaking options are endless. Into, out of, or even in the middle of corners no problem if you can drive. Down straights, using drag, overtaking is routine. So if you want to know if you can really race cars the 2CV Racing is the formula of choice.

Racing can also involve damage. The cost of repairs to wings etc is relatively marginal. A head on tyre wall crash in a formula Renault or Ford would set you back about £5000 or more. Mending and building requires time more than money. If you can handle spanners, a five pound sledge hammer and have a certain amount of brain power then you can keep racing. Oh a Haynes Manual also helps.

So if we are serious about moving the Formula into the 21st century as a success we ought to be considering how to package and market ourselves to attract new racers.

The current discussion about the regulations and cams is so irrelevant to the issue as to be untrue. The club cam was introduced because the "Mr Citroen" cam was not sufficiently consistent to be capable of policing. If the regs were changed to allow for a reasonable level of variance we would effectively have a free cam profile. Accordingly, now there is a standard level playing field. A free cam would significantly increase the cost of racing for the front runners. I would expect to be paying up to £400 per cam for each of my engines if the cam was free. However, I would also expect a very significant increase in performance. So the gap between the front and back of the Grid would expand dramatically and the number of entrants continue to decline.

The 24 Hour Race is a flagship. The only opportunity in the UK to experience the ultimate racing challenge so a different situation could apply. We could use it as a recruiting event. The regulations are different to some degree already. We could empower the 24 Hour Committee to develop the specific regs to encourage the maximum of entrants. However, I would still like the members to be informed of any changes before they are introduced so that the spirit and purpose of the action is maintained.

I would also point out that we do not do enough to make it easy for all of our members. If we look at a normal season it does seem to be a bit of a North South divide. We have not catered for our Scottish or Irish racers. It is no wonder that the Trophies for the Country Competition are rarely mentioned. Maybe we can only get circuits from Donnington South I do not know. However, I think that more effort in this regard would pay off in terms of more active members.

Value for money should be a theme. At present track time seems to be limited compared to the cost. Longer races could improve this. However, before we jump on this as the answer we must consider the degrees of performance. Being lapped multiple times is not going to be pleasant experience. If this is due to driving skill then so be it, but if it is due to a combination of regs and money then we will lose more people than we will gain.

So the big question is how can we tell people we exist, how good we are all the while hiding the fact that we are world champions at moaning.

Terry Collier