Main Menu

Re: Increasing Active Members

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 12:07:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Catherine on October 08, 2004 at 22:32:37:

In Reply to: Increasing Active Members posted by Terry Collier on October 08, 2004 at 14:47:10:

I don't think there is any easy answer to increasing active members but perhaps advertising might help, maybe not, having a fancy website is all well and good but if you don't have net access it's not a lot of help! Magazine features (whether good or bad) do let the rest of the planet know this form of motorsport exists. Utilising motorshows may also help - NEC, SECC etc.

A race in Scotland and/or Ireland (N and or S) would be ace but how many from down south would make a slog N or E to do one maybe two in a year? (I stay in Scotland so I'm not stating that as an I wouldn't travel!!)

Dare I mention cams again? Prospectively good idea perhaps badly done, certainly not enough testing went into it prior to introduction and I can't comment on how much thought went into it! To quote Megadeth, 'Hindsight is always 20/20,' so perhaps a lesson is learnt and sleeping dogs are left...blah, blah, blah. I'll stop now before this turns into a long rant...!

Any time I've gone along to 2cv events the bit I love best is the fun. There's no two ways about it, you're all absolutely bonkers and that is what adds to the charm! I'm sure there is contention and rivalry at times and the odd falling out, but post race this always seems to disappear and everyone gets on well, including the people who only appear now and again and the newcomers, with welcoming drinks, good cheer, etc. Your not left to feel like an outsider which I've found at other levels of motorsport.

Although increasing costs are inevitable it's still going to work out less expensive than other areas - perhaps those whose families are reaching their teens should dust off the overalls and make that the weekend trip - ready made pit crew! - instead of seeing the inlaws, I don't know, not married, skint student ... 28 ... single ... 5'8" ...

There are never going to be any easy answers but whatever gets voted in at the AGM should be backed by all the club members who're involved whether they agree with the decision or not. Although I'd hate to see people who don't agree then voting with their feet next season. Perhaps we should all remember why we began racing 2cv's, this will obviously differ for each person but maybe with that in mind everyone can come together and take the club into the future.

As to what the future holds no-one knows. I'll not be at the AGM nor will I be voting by any which way. Does this mean I won't moan or try and stir things, mmmm, well no guarantees after alcohol consumption!! Reason for not voting is that I'm not competing so technically I feel I can just sit and watch the antics, once I get my licence sorted out (yes, someday I will actually get this sorted out!) then I can justify a vote on racing decisions.

Think I've probably said enough as I seem to recall mentioning I wouldn't rant, maybe i should get a post-it on the computer 'Do not ramble, get to point' Maybe I have no point who knows!

Catherine

PS: Would still like to see the continental 2cv racers as a speciality race before the 24hr starts NOT as participants of the 24hr.

PPS: would be good if you can bear in mind the 2cv World meeting being in the Scottish Borders next July, perhaps could raise profile of the British series at this with either a race or at least a display of top middle and bottom of the field vehicles! Perhaps those who don't race all the time could dig out their old racer and bring the family?