Main Menu

In Pit information system

Started by Bob Rice, May 21, 2005, 22:00:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Rice

During the race last year, I was spectateing, I noticed that some teams were getting crcuit / Race information on either TV's or computers.
On the assumption that we can have a lap top with us, what else will we need to be able to connect in to the system.

Sorry if this seems a elementary question, but I've never used anything like it before.

Chris Yates

Hi Bob,

The timing information on the pit wall and in the garages is distributed via a television signal, so you need something like a portable TV, or a laptop with a TV-in card.

You'll need an 'f' connector, rather than a standard TV co-ax connector. The 'f' connectors are the same ones as used for satellite decoders, so you should be able to pick them up from DIY shops. You'll need a female end, to screw onto the wall outlet, a short length of cable, then a standard co-ax plug for the TV end.

On the Friday I think, you should be able to tune the TV into the practice times. It's possible that race control should have some spare connectors if you get stuck.

Martin Harrold

Chris.

You may well be right about the 'F' connector. But, my vague re-collection from last year is that the connection boxes take a normal co-ax connector.

Problem apparently is that some other selfish occupiers of the garages during the season rip the boxes open, making things difficult for other users.

Martin H
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Bob Rice

thanks Gents, that helps a lot.
I'll start looking for a spare TV.

Andrew Bull

Hi, I assume you'll be racing and will have access to a garage?  If so, take an old tv, a length of standard co-ax, normal connectors, and a screwdriver and manual adjusting tool, chair or box, remote for TV, batteries for remote.
follow these few simple steps;-

-connect tv to co-ax
-take other end of co-ax with other type of connector,
-stick it in the socket on the box on the wall of the garage,
-If connectors not compatable, rip connector off cable,
-peel back outer shielding,
-stick solid core in centre of socket (the one on the box on the wall) and then outer copper shield needs to touch the outside edge of the socket (this may require some insulting tape for retaining purposes).  
-If theres no socket on the box, use aforementioned screwdriver to open the box on the wall.  usually there'll be something to plug in to or connect to.  
-If still struggling, take manual adjusting tool and use accordingly.  (i find as a tool for stress relief it's remarkably capable)
-Find batteries for TV remote.
-Tune tv manually (because remote doesnt work) whilst standing on a chair or box with your arm in the air looking like you need sir to give you permission to go to the loo.
-Channel 9 billion and 4 is usually the one you need.

One further Tip is always remember the 1 inch nail to replace the third fuse in a row that blows in the TV plug.  

All of this must of course conform to IEE 16th edition wiring regs and will be subject to method statement and risk assesment review at any time.  
'Safety In Mind'

If all else fails- look at somebody else's!!!!

Hope this helps, if not gave you a chuckle.  I do remeber situations very similar though.  A few connectors and some cable you can normally make something up.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Andrew Bull

Hi, I assume you'll be racing and will have access to a garage?  If so, take an old tv, a length of standard co-ax, normal connectors, and a screwdriver and manual adjusting tool, chair or box, remote for TV, batteries for remote.
follow these few simple steps;-

-connect tv to co-ax
-take other end of co-ax with other type of connector,
-stick it in the socket on the box on the wall of the garage,
-If connectors not compatable, rip connector off cable,
-peel back outer shielding,
-stick solid core in centre of socket (the one on the box on the wall) and then outer copper shield needs to touch the outside edge of the socket (this may require some insulting tape for retaining purposes).  
-If theres no socket on the box, use aforementioned screwdriver to open the box on the wall.  usually there'll be something to plug in to or connect to.  
-If still struggling, take manual adjusting tool and use accordingly.  (i find as a tool for stress relief it's remarkably capable)
-Find batteries for TV remote.
-Tune tv manually (because remote doesnt work) whilst standing on a chair or box with your arm in the air looking like you need sir to give you permission to go to the loo.
-Channel 9 billion and 4 is usually the one you need.

One further Tip is always remember the 1 inch nail to replace the third fuse in a row that blows in the TV plug.  

All of this must of course conform to IEE 16th edition wiring regs and will be subject to method statement and risk assesment review at any time.  
'Safety In Mind'

If all else fails- look at somebody else's!!!!

Hope this helps, if not gave you a chuckle.  I do remeber situations very similar though.  A few connectors and some cable you can normally make something up.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Andrew Bull
TĂȘte Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013