Main Menu

Changes to the website

Started by Dick Roberts, July 04, 2005, 10:35:24

Previous topic - Next topic

What sort of front page would you like for the 2CVRC web?

Very very simple - just 'welcome' and the links to other pages
0 (0%)
Simple - Some welcome text, a picture of a car and the links to other pages
5 (45.5%)
Busy - Current news items and the links to other pages
3 (27.3%)
Columnated as at present into topic groups and the links to other pages
3 (27.3%)
something else- please post new suggestion
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: July 04, 2005, 10:35:24

Dick Roberts

Hello

The new 2CVRC website has been running for several months and it would be a good time for club members to review its layout and content.

The idea was to have easy navigation to 'topic' areas e.g. race reports, track details, people-profiles etc.

Your comments on what's right or wrong, what's missing how it should be done etc would be appreciated.

The only comment we have had so far is that the front page has too much information.  The current 'busy' style was was chosen deliberatly so that a first time visitor would see that the club is more than cars-being-driven-quicky-round-corners. They would see that there were social aspects, engineering, people and supporter potential and would get an idea of the scope of involvement.  This is in addition to being able to go straight to the area of interest by clicking the appropriate button.

We would like the frontpage to reflect what the club wants to be seen and would be grateful if you could vote to give us a 'steer' in the right direction.

Your comments, critisims and suggestions would also be most welcome

Best wishes from Dick Roberts & Yvette Asscher

Chris Yates

Hi Dick,

Don't mind the current columnated style too much, as (like you say) it gives a chance to get some interesting photos and snippets on the front page. It's become a lot tidier recently. However, a simpler (perhaps nested) menu on the side would be an advantage, as finding the links which are buried in the text/images is a little hard at times. Having two menus is also confusing, the top red buttons often go un-noticed, as the side text-menu is more 'obvious'.

Perhaps a 'breadcrumb trail' of where you are on the site, plus some sort of site map would be an advantage too. Currently, if you stray off on a link from the main index page, you tend to get dead ended. i.e. if I click on the current 'Who's who?' link, I get taken to a nice page full of interesting facts about Sammie Fritchley, but there's no option for me to go to the rest of the 'who's who' pages from there. Just a little help for people with no patience, or a short attention span :)

Dick Roberts

Hello Chris

Thanks for you comments

Re the current columnated style: I am gladyou feel that "it gives a chance to get some interesting photos and snippets on the front page".

Re your suggestion: "a simpler (perhaps nested) menu on the side would be an advantage" I agree.  There were a lot of things brought forward from previous eras and I haven't wanted to take a machette to them out of respect.  I do believe that tidying up should start from content and this means filling in gaps as well as taking out dead wood.  I can use my own judgement but I would prefer to work to the Club's consensus.

Re your point about being dead ended: Again I agree.  For instance races take you to others in that season but this hasn't been applied to the (new) who's who section as yet.

Thanks for your help

Matthew Hollis

Personally, I think the front page should contain the following:

1. A header and welcome message to catch people's attention (this is pretty much there already anyway)
2. Latest news
3. Images showing racing
4. Race dates for this year (and perhaps current championship positions - again as it is now).
5. Links to other pages
6. Perhaps one other feature if it doesn't make the page too cluttered (i.e. featured driver of the week)

These are of course my personal opinions, and in no way do I know what a website should look like or how hard or easy it is to achieve it.  I am merely going on what some other motorport websites look like.

What does disappoint me slightly is that around 40 people have apparently viewed this message, but only five have voted.  I don't want to cause bad feelings within the club so I'll shut up now! :wink:

See you at Cadwell! :D

Dick Roberts

Hello Richard

Thanks for your comments.  I am striving to present the things you suggest in a clear, friendly and coherent way along the lines you suggest

There was all sorts of stuff left over from pervious web initiatives which included a lot of good albeit unco-ordinated material. (the 24 hour race being treated as an exception for example)

The consensus seems to be towards a BBC style approach with thumbnails covering the range of 2CVRC topics (Rather than a simplified single focus) and this will build over the next few weeks unless the club feels another approach is more appropriate.

Best wishes from Dick Roberts

Richard hollis

Hi Dick they were matthew's comments not mine! however funnily enough i agree with him. i'll be voting for option no.2. I think the work Dick's done on the website is fantastic and it certainly more up to date then ever before, (I've got some more stuff to send!), and is one of the things currently saving our club. PS can any one help at the world meeting? currently just a Hollis Motorsport team versus the legendary Sparrow and Andy B in the engine change race in the main arena. Help us or else we may look stupid cheers Richard.

Dick Roberts

Painting yourselves in identical colours confused me, sorry.

Thanks for your comments,  simplification of the front page will take place progressively.

My concern, and the reason for the 'busy' strategy, is that the visibilityof the club can have a 'drivers-only' or 'cars-only' quality and I thought it was helpful to broaden out the subject material to include people, tracks, supporters, social events etc.

Unfortunately there is no material that welcomes a newcomer whether they are a potential spectator, sponsor, driver or mechanic.  Some text that explains the possibilities, the fun that can be had, the costs involved and how to get the process started could serve a useful purpose.

Best wishes, Dick Roberts

Dick Roberts

Hello

The opinion poll gave, in summary busy and or columnated 60% Simple 40% (see below)

As information on the welcome page is most visible to search engines and the club, as I understand it, is keen to have visibility, supportes, sponsors etc we will add brief illustrated notes on the range of 2CVRC aspects.

Best wishes from Dick Roberts.

Very very simple - just 'welcome' and the links to other pages    
 0%  [ 0 ]
Simple - Some welcome text, a picture of a car and the links to other pages    
 40%  [ 4 ]
Busy - Current news items and the links to other pages    
 30%  [ 3 ]
Columnated as at present into topic groups and the links to other pages    
 30%  [ 3 ]
something else- please post new suggestion    
 0%  [ 0 ]