Main Menu

VERY provisional 2006 24hr date

Started by Paul Robertson, October 12, 2005, 16:13:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Robertson

Although we requested the same weekend as this year for the 2006 race it would appear that it may possibly be the first may bank holiday weekend instead making it the earliest we have had the race to my knowledge .
Please don't complain to me i have no power over what date we are given and this is not yet confirmed so if you can avoid making plans at the moment please do so.
Paul

Catherine Noble

Would that be at Snet again or is Pembrey on the cards?

Catherine

Paul Robertson

It will be snetterton as the bridge at pembrey was going to be far to expensive (over£30,000 for a weekend).

rod stead

In spite of having paid for my family to go on holiday for the last bank holiday weekend in May so I can do this race, I don't have a problem with either date or location!

Andrew Bull

Maybe we could contact the royal Engineers in the army.  See if they fancing doing a weekend excercise and build us a bailey bridge or such like.  They might fancy it??????!!!!!!!! :idea:
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Terry Scannell

You don't really want to do that when we Snet marshals would love to see you all back at Super Snet (as it will be known soon!) and you all know what to expect from us in the dark as well as daylight!

Terry

Catherine Noble

Thought the RE would have been asked? Mmmm, men in uniform running about all weekend, that's a great plan...

:wink:

Whilst Snet is fab (like Mondello was fab) it has drawbacks (like Mondello had) so, as long as everything is cost effective, then should keep the majority happy... although I've been wrong before...

C x

Andrew Bull

Is there any possibility of the club potentially chipping in for marshall's travel from snet, (i.e lay on a coach) subject to enough numbers wanting to come and there not being enough marshalls locally??

I seem to recall the idea being bounced around before?

:?:
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Catherine Noble

Cripes that's going a bit far!! Common to invite marshals from other clubs, but usual to let them make their own travel arrangements.

And before I get jumped on from a great height by marshals, competitors, and so forth, have been marshalling long before getting behind the fifth wheel and competing.

Have only ever been provided with sustinance at events and in a few instances a wee momento (usually bruises, but that's a different story!!)

Yes it would be a lovely idea and a great gesture, but it may then set a precedence for future/other events when it may not be affordable for the club in question (not neccessarily 2cv racing in particular). Marshalls are always in short supply, perhaps a solution would be to encourage associate members to become more involved and perhaps become marshals. Alternatively drivers not managing to compete could volunteer?

C x

Terry Scannell

Andrew / Catherine, firstly very kind thought from Andrew re transport and yes it was mentioned when the possibility of  Pembrey was discussed with us in Tyrrell's after this year's race, but I believe that it may not be practical due to the amount of gear that we would need to take for camping over 2/3 days.

Most of us would either come with our camping gear or caravans and most could  double up to share transport etc. I think you would certainly have the support from most of the Snet 2cv regular marshals at whatever circuit, as long as there wasn't a clashing meeting the same weekend at Snet.

But don't forget that 2006 will be the last opportunity to race on the current Snet circuit before all the changes happen, so lap & race records on this circuit will stand forever! -don't miss this opportunity to make the history books!

Then 2007 you would have the challenge of a completely new circuit layout to find your way around in the dark!

Also please bear in mind that Snet is the spiritual home of 24hr racing in the UK and has more experience of successfully running such meetings than any other circuit in the UK, especially with relatively low numbers of marshals.

Terry

Derek Harnett

Quote from: "Paul Robertson"It will be snetterton as the bridge at pembrey was going to be far to expensive (over£30,000 for a weekend).

Wow - that's big money!  Is that the cost of a permanent bridge or the weekend rental of a temporary one?

This is bad news for us.  The escalating costs at Snetterton and difficulties in getting a crew there (for us at least) mean that we have some hard thinking to do.

It may yet make much more sense for me to look for a seat in a UK based team this time round (assuming the right team and right price seat are availabe!).

Paul Robertson

This was the cost of a temporary bridge derek and £750 per week to rent it once it was constructedthe problem is the single span distance of 36metres minmum.

Francis Rottenburg

Not sure if this is at all relevant but....Jun 11 is the provisional date for the British Grand Prix and June 16 - 19 is the Le Mans date.  

On a personal note as someone who prepares cars badly, I'd like to underline earlier comments about the date for the 24 hours.  If it is the first weekend in May then will there be a sprint at least and more importantly an enduro before the race?  Unless there is some sort of shakedown race then even the also-ran teams like mine will have to start doing testing.  I don't feel happy asking mates for a good deal of money per seat (no, I always lose money!) if I can't make a reasonable claim that the car may last a couple of hours without breaking.  Testing is destructive in the sense that it is more expensive than doing even a sprint and reduces the amount of racing I can do later in the year.