Main Menu

2006 regs on crash helmets

Started by marc sparrow, November 04, 2005, 20:44:16

Previous topic - Next topic

marc sparrow

I know this season has only just come to a close but does anyone know to what standard crash hetmets now have to be to meet the 2006 regs,as i think i may well have to upgrade for next year.

thanks marc :roll:

Pete Sparrow

Wal.
Stick this under drivers matters in the new forum,this is in the historic bit.
Love ya
Champ
:D
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Chris Yates

Hi Marc,

Helmets for 2006 must be approved by:
- Snell2000 (or later)
- SFI Foundation (American) 31.1/31.2
- BS 6658-85 Type A (Includes Type A/FR. Type B won't do)

Overalls must be FIA approved, although the year of approval doesn't necessarily matter.

Harnesses for 2006 must be FIA homologated (i.e. manufactured within the last 5 years), and must have a tag / label near the buckle of every strap which gives the year of expiry of that FIA approval.

Extinguishers must be 'plumbed-in', and should have two nozzles. Opinion is divided as to whether it's one nozzle for the engine bay and one for the driver, or two for the engine bay. "Plumbed-in" in this case means the extinguisher must have been bought as a plumbed-in system, so conversion of an existing hand-held won't be accepted I believe. If you have any paperwork to back up the extinguisher's history, it may be a good idea to take it to race meetings, as there's sure to be some confusion, as some of the basic plumbed-in systems look like converted hand-helds. The brand and manufacturer label may be key to this, so make sure any labels on the bottle are obvious and visible.