Main Menu

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oulton walk-over

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 00:59:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Terry Collier on April 29, 2003 at 13:42:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oulton walk-over posted by pete(soon to be x champ) on April 29, 2003 at 00:14:48:

Hi All,

This discussion is great for creating greater use of the Forum. Perhaps we will use it more now we know where it is. Apart from that it is amazing. I generally think that before one accuses one of murder it is better to find a body.

The magic fear is that a modified cam gives an advantage in that the engine will drive the car faster. Where is the evidence of this faster car. Qualifying in the dry at Oulton was slower than the fastest lap two years ago. Mallory was slower than last year. The fact that many cars are no faster than last year is not my fault.

I spent a lot of time before the last AGM explaining the position concerning the reliability of cam profiles. My concern was to try to ensure that people did not suffer due to manufacturing intolerances of which they were unaware. I realised that not many people had either my level of motivation, opportunity or ability to filter many cams to find ones that were as close to reg optimal as I did. So a uniform Club cam would create a more level playing field at least below the Barrell. It was stated that this would only benefit the fast cars and increase the gap on the Grid. In fact it would do the opposite, increasing lift in fact slows my engines down. I would need to redefine my heads to take advantage of it. Doing this thing won me very few friends, especially amongst my own Team. However, the net result is what we see.

The comments made by many people I agree with. I do fail to see that one race has suddenly lost us a reputation for close racing. In many cases there will remain close racing in different groups. These groups will consist of cars responding to the different levels of effort, thinking and development put in.

A couple of other points. I have no problem in complete strip downs at Snetterton. But for those of you who do not get their hands oily I would point out that it takes most of a day to assemble an engine so two would be interesting. So would we hold this event on Wednesday? After a rebuild I would need to set up my engines which would take at least half a day on a Rolling Road. So this would be Thursday so that I could practise on Friday.

Some of you may have a Haynes Manual. I recommend looking at the engine specification page. You will find a list of different 2CV 6 engines -- AO6,AM28 etc. Look at the peak output figures. You will find that the HP differs and so does the rpm. Surely this does not mean that the cam design is different according to engine type?

I apologise for the length. I was originally going to keep out of this entirely, but some of the comments got to me. Just because oneĀ“s well prepared car is beaten by a better one that is even better prepared and is driven by probably the leading 2CV wet weather driver should not lead one to immediately to conclude cheating. If that is the only way that you can think of improving your performance then I am sorry for you.

Thank you for your patience in reading this.

Terry Collier