Main Menu

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oulton walk-over

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 01:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Terry Collier on April 29, 2003 at 14:12:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oulton walk-over posted by pete(soon to be x champ) on April 29, 2003 at 00:14:48:

Hi All,

So we are off again. Fun! Surely it is necessary to find a body before one throws around accusations of murder. I gather that the fear is that modified cams make cars go faster. Because most of you cannot keep up with Gary you conclude that a deep dark mysterious cam trick is being played. Let us look at the facts so far. Oulton qualifying was 1 second slower that the fastest lap of two years ago. Mallory was slower than last year. Goodness a lot of good this mysterious cam is doing me.

Others have made the point but it bears repeating. Spending a whole day finding the lines and set up for wet conditions luckily paid off as following a dry morning the heavens opened. Even someone of PeteĀ“s ability cannot hope to give Gary that advantage. By the time he found the right lines, which are very different to the dry ones, three laps had gone and the race was over. The others who practised on Friday, apart from making up the rest of the top six, were slowed by their interaction. That is the way it was. Does any of us like this type of racing -- no. We all agree with Pete on this. But what should we do? Go slower to let you all catch up? What an insult to everyone else.

I am amazed that the automatic response to being beaten by a better driver and car is to assume cheating. Do I assume that you have run out of ideas and can only improve your performance by illegal methods. If this is your thinking pattern then you will never improve. I remember Jean Paul at Thruxton. I went away to try to see if the engine could achieve this. Many random numbers later I decided it could and perhaps be even quicker. Certain things had to be changed to achieve a certain output. So I worked on it. You see the result. There are no quick fixes in this game. It takes dedication, thinking, experimentation, time and money but not as much as you think.

Just a thought on the Snetterton concepts. I have no problem with the stripping and sealing of engines. However, as it takes most of the day to rebuild an engine let alone two to four, when the scrutineering is done is a problem. I also need a day to set these engines up -- for this I need to be on a rolling road. So it seems we will have to do this on Wednesday. I am a bit puzzled by the Weigh Bridge.

To call an EGM it needs more than six people by the way -- constitution.

Sorry for the length of this. I was going to keep out of this but the odd comment got me going.

Regards to all

Terry Collier