Main Menu

Michelin tyres XZX 145 x 15

Started by Martin Harrold, January 05, 2006, 19:53:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

Is it me, or is there a potential problem out there with getting hold of the specified Michelin tyres for the 24 hr ?

I normally use a well established firm in the Midlands, Lodge Tyre, based in Birmingham. My friend Melvin there is the ony man I know who will take the trouble to balance my 2CV wheels. He and his colleagues know a lot about the tyre business.

I asked them for a quote for 6 of the specified tyres. He has come back to me saying that they are no longer in production, he can't get hold of any and in his words, they have 'gone vintage'. I checked a couple of vintage tyre sites and the prices are looking like £55 each. Now, that's a lot of money for just one race - albeit a nice long one.

Does anyone have any ideas on this ?

Happy New Year to all, Martin Harrold / Team Fine Print
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Paul Robertson

Martin this looks like the average price for the only alternative tyre available to us that is motorsport approved.Roy does stock them so should be available from ECAS when it reopens later this month.Shaun Mcloughlin can get them at a better price but only if we buy them 100 at a time.The best price I have found for them was £49.50 + VAT.

Catherine Noble

Ah yes, but have you spotted the possible loophole in the regs also...

Catherine

Martin Harrold

Nope -tell us more !
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Trevor Williams

What Loophole????

As the regs have not been published no-one but me and BARC know what was written in them!!

But for CLARITY, the only tyres that are allowed for the 2006 season are:

FIRESTONE F560 in either 125, 135 or 145 sizes

MICHELIN 145 SR15 XZX

No Loophole, use those or face the penalty
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Catherine Noble

Ah poop, Trevor just closed my loophole!

Yes aware the regs aren't available anywhere, as yet!

However, the 'Entry Pack' as issued and published on web, states which tyres are allowed for the coming year. I had queried this and the reponse received said that ONLY Michelins would be permitted, hence ruling out the use of Firestones that the majority already have.

So the conniving sod that I am thought the entry pack could be used as a loophole to being allowed to use Firestones for the 24hr race.

Oh well!

As to availability of tyres, yes there may be a problem (personal view!!). Not sure how things are down south, but it took two months to get standard 125 Michelins for my road Dyane ...  might be worth ordering race tyres now then! Firestones, incidentally cannot be bought new anywhere which is a big pest as they were good tyres, Michelin not so good in rain, which in Scotland is not helpful!

Catherine

pat collier

I read this thread to say you can use Firestones 125-135-145 if you have them or Michellins which are difficult/not cheap.

If so ok

Why may I ask in all innocence are we restricting tyres? Grip levels are higher than performance on 145 tyres so there is little benefit from very expensive compounds, and gearing will be limited by ground clearence/bodywork? IF we went for wider tyres the drag co-efficient with grip would be outwayed by the power generated from the 2cv best spec engine?

So if tyres are tricky to get hold of why not make them free?

Have fun

Patrick

Catherine Noble

As far as I'm aware it's not the club that is causing the tyre restrictions but manufacturers.

Firestone have stopped making tyres in 2cv sizes and Michelin tyres are currently similar to gold-dust!

The loop hole possibility arose from a personal correspondence, prior to printing of official regulations. As I only had the entry pack and said correspondence to go on, my wee brain started hatching little ideas.

Someday, I may learn patience... or tact... or to keep my mouth shut. Sadly doesn't look like it will be any time soon!

Catherine

(Just back from Raid Tan Hill - wicked fun!)