Main Menu

Guess

Started by Dick Roberts (Web admin), December 03, 2004, 01:11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Roberts (Web admin)

Posted by Mick on April 30, 2003 at 19:24:18:

I thought I should put down a couple of points re where we are on this.

Cams - at the AGM the Tech Committee and Terry Collier agreed to put out a joint fully costed proposal on how to proceed with camshafts. All being well this will be available by Snetterton which allows a reasonable digestion time prior to the AGM (provisionally to be held at Silverstone in August).

EGM - to have an EGM requires 20% of the members to propose it (that would be 12 people). We need 50% of the clubs voting members present to be quorate & proposals are supposed to be in 28 days ahead of the meeting.

Regulations - the regs do have their problems but our regs have been flashed round other clubs as the way to do things. F1 spends a fortune on regs & still has problems. However, it is clear they need a good going over. If anyone knows a professional tech regs writer we could consider using them. Failing that, they will be gone through in detail prior to the AGM anyway.

Interpretation of regs - what we think the regs mean can in the extreme be regarded as almost irrelevant, unless it really is explicit. As with any law, it is down to what the courts decide. If I were to write a law, what I meant when writing it wouldnt count if the "court" interpreted it in a different way. In this case the court is obviously the Scrutineer & the RAC. The "court" is also required to be reasonable (and pragmatic?), so if someone is blatantly flouting the regs, by say using a non Citroen supplied cam, then I cant see how they could avoid getting knobbled when found out. At the moment we dont seem to be able to police cam timing, but other aspects of the cam are explicit.

Since being chairman cams have been the bain of my life. Many have thought about the problem but nobody has managed to come up with an effective solution yet. Hopefully we will have a way out of this that is palatable to members before the AGM. While I would be quite happy to chair an EGM, it is not clear what purpose it would serve at the moment (technical debate on camshafts is not regarded as a stimulationg topic by many of our members).