Main Menu

Racing 2CVs in a Video Game -- Advice and Info Requested

Started by Nathan Pasho, June 01, 2006, 15:01:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Pasho

Hello!

I am curious as to whether any of you fellows also play computer games?  My friends and I are working on a little project for the racing simulation game "rFactor", which is a new game that came a little less than one year ago.

I first contacted one of your members back in January regarding a new project some friends and I are working on, and he was most helpful.

Here are links to pictures of what has been accomplished so far.

We have also gotten the tracks Donington, Croft, Snetterton, Spa, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, and Oulton.

I have found some good photos of cockpits from this year's races, of the meters and steering wheels.  Looks to be pretty general based on each drivers preference.  Are there any regulations on the instrumentation? Such as what is required or not allowed?

Also, we are particularly interested in making the physics accurate.  I have adjusted the cars to correct lap times for these tracks as much as possible, but it would be very interesting if for one or two of these tracks, you could possibly draw a map with typical minimum and maximum speeds noted in  the corners and on the straights. That would help to adjust tyre grip to get the correct corner speeds and make sure we have the overall performance as close as possible.

With the level of detail possible, we can adjust the understeer, springrates, dampers, fuel usage, even the number of milliseconds required to clutch and shift, so the more detail and input you are willing to contribute, the better.  We will also welcome if any of you do play racing games, if you will like to test this out before we publish it, to give opinion on how faithful we have been or what we might improve.

Another thing we will love to have is audio recordings of the engine and exhaust sounds, if it is possible.

I will be happy to keep you updated on our progress.  We were thinking to finish these cars using photographs from your website of your own cars.  However, we must have written permission if any of you wish to participate.  If you would like to have the appearance of your own car omitted from this project, or if you would like to provide us with high resolution images so that we can make a detailed model of your personal car, either way, please contact me via email or PM.

This project is just a hobby for my friends and I, much as real racing is for you folks.  When this project is finished, we will publish it for free distribution to fans of the rFactor game.  Nothing has been published yet.

Progress of this project can be followed at the following locations.
http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=3573&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.slipangle.it/forum/index.php?s=e7b89239298a0e1480675d19a11c3a41&showtopic=3197&st=0

Here is a picture of a Porsche which has been completed for this game, just to give you an idea of the level of detail that is possible for us in recreating your 2CVs.

Dick Roberts

Please note that the name, the photographs, videos, graphics, text and all other material displayed on the web site have been explicity identified as copyright.

No material can be used for any purpose without written permission.

Nathan Pasho

Ok, that is the sort of thing that I need to know. :wink:

I am happy to make this as generic or detailed as you like.  There have been a number of racing teams for other cars who have used it as free publicity after thorough review.  In particular, many of the Porsches and American stock cars.

I will also welcome feedback from individual drivers, regarding whether they would like to participate.

Considering the trademarks, we will procede with fictional names and logos, unless individuals give permission to use detailed photos.

Nathan Pasho

Here is an example of a fictional car that we will use.

Important note:  I do not work for rFactor or have any connection to Image Space Incorporated.  rFactor was made so that private users of the game, such as my friends and I, can add any content that we like.  This project has no commercial connections whatsoever and is being done for free, strictly as a weekend hobby, by my self, and other members of the forum www.slipangle.it

Nathan Pasho

By the way, here's me! (and two of my cars) Pleased to meet you!  Thanks in advance for any input you all might give.  :D

Marc Fenner

Hi

I have got a view films of in car filming of me doing brands and we have loads of snetterton. Think i may have some of Silverstone too.
will try dig it out for you.
Its about time that a computer game is sold with 2cv's in it. The one game that had a 2cv in was so un relistic.
Will be more than happy to help in anyway!

Marc

Nathan Pasho

Thanks Marc! That will be great!  Do you currently have a computer that you can play the new games on?  Would be great to have a few of you guys test it out.  Please contact me by email at my yahoo address.

I have a question about qualifying.  What are the rules that you guys use at qualifying?  How many laps are you allowed?

Also, if any of you fellows will like to have your personal liveries featured in the game, I will need your written permission, and if you like, please provide larger, up close photographs, to my email address.  

Except for this, all liveries will be fictional.

Just to clarify, the game is not going to be sold with this content.  This is content that my friends and I, who have no relationship to the game's makers, will be providing as a free addition to the game.

boots

Im just getting to grips with the game, you have done some very good work.

gasklep

Lets bring this back in these times of sitting home and waiting till the racing can start again.

Is it possible to pick this up and convert it to be usable in rFactor 2? rFactor 2 is fantastic. I am having great fun racing it, especially with the handling of older cars.
Would be fantastic if we can drive the club cars again in rFactor 2.

Brent

Hi, I've converted a number of RF mods to RF2.  I came across the 2CV rfactor mod recently have been looking to find out who created it to get permission to convert it.  I just happened to find this forum through a conversation someone had about this mod.  I'm glad to have found the original creator(s).  Nathan, would you have any issue if I converted the mod to RF2?

Matthew Hollis

Hi Brent, I'm not sure if Nathan will see this post as I don't think his account is active. Might be worth contacting slipangle.it instead as he/them were also involved, email address is [email protected]

And if anyone hasn't seen it yet, I've been having a go at sort of replicating the season using the original rFactor and mod, you can view on the Hollis Motorsport youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hollismotorsport

Brent

Matt, thank you.  I just started looking into this again.  I've sent an email.  Hopefully I'll get a response

Brent

No response from Nathan after a few months since I sent the email.  Hopefully someone who knows how to contact him can give him my email address, see my profile