Main Menu

ARE WE RACING NEXT YEAR?ITS UP TO YOU

Started by Paul Robertson, July 11, 2006, 17:30:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Bull

Here's a connundrum ive been trying to get my head around:-

To go racing in a Legend will cost (according to Legend Web site) £20000 for the first season.  A new legend car is £11000+vat +uk spec changes+import.  

So why are they so popular???????????

I am trying to get a copy of thier regs to compare.
Also i'm looking at 750MC stock Hatch regs.  

Hopefully i'll find time to digest them,  particularly from the championship formats and sporting side of things.  

Maybe Shaun MC can shed some light on these figures and answer the connundrum?  Maybe i am mistaken and they are not popular?

Regards  Andrew Bull
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Bob Rice

maybe perfomance equality, power and reliability have something to do with it.
The Caterham Academy is around the same sort of figure incuding a £12K car, and that's always sold out months, even a year in advance.
And isn't a fully competitive Max5 around the £6K mark.

As I've said before, I don't understand it either, but taking up on Geoff's point's, I don't think money is the issue here.

Geoff Archer

Quote from: "Bob Rice"
As I've said before, I don't understand it either, but taking up on Geoff's point's, I don't think money is the issue here.

exactly i think the car is, also bragging points in the pub/dinner parties are better with a mx5/cat7/fiesta sat on the drive, there seen by the public as proper racing cars not like them funny french upside down prams
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Andrew Bull

One thing I forgot to say.  

The 2cv engine has no gaskets, an O'ring here and there and a bit of hylomar.  There are no Cam belts, Distributor or water system.  E.g. you can access the valve train by removing ONE 12mm nut.  
How easy do you want it.  

An engine requires about 10 wires to run.  
Alternator
Coil
Oil pressure switch
Luminition Unit
Luminition control Box
Starter motor

A standard 2cv road car has more complexity than a race car.  The main differences are the heating system is employed on the road (which is a bast4rd to fit right).  We dont even have that to worry about.  

We dont have to worry about the gear train either or brakes, because as terry says, Haynes make this marvellous book that tells you all about them.  They are standard items.  Simple procedures, documented by the biggest motor manual company in the world.  The even have colour pictures in new versions!!!!

Diagnosis of problems is easy, Look, listen, and feel.  
If you're not sure, there is usually 25-50 other people in the paddock who are always happy to help or give advice, both at the track and over the phone.  

With regards to driving a 2cv fast.  Buy a road going 2cv.  Drive it for 12 months on the roads.  Then you will learn to drive the 2cv.  Our own chairman did exactly this and he is now leading races, in his own car, on Frome chassis, with engines he's built by himself.  He job is nothing to do with cars.  Builds roads or summat.  All credit to him.  Ive said this before and Ill stand by it.  

Example~: Sparrow has driven 2cv and A-series cars for nigh on a hundred years.  He knows how to drive them quick.  It took Mr Adnit 3-4 years to get to grips with the 2cv particulars.  Robertson, Tyson, Dalston, Eastwood, Hollis Bros, all drove(drive) citroens on road, before thier relative successes on the track.  

Regards
Andrew Bull
Andrew Bull

Geoff Archer

one last thing

2cvs are like fat ugly birds everyone wants a go as long as there mates dont find out!!!!
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Andy Craig-Smith

I agree with Bully.
Motor racing isn't cheap, if you want to race be prepared to dig deep.
Its no good saying 2 weeks before a meeting I wish I'd done that extra paper round !!!! or overtime.
Entry fees are the same whatever formula ( unless subsidised by their club )
Rocket Dog Racing

rod stead

With an entry of 20 for Mallory, is my arguement in favour of an endurance series shot!

I like the point about the "classic" endurance series - Goodwood Revival here we come?

Marc Fenner

I can get the legends buff if you like as we rac ethem too.

Catherine Noble

Maybe that should be a catch phrase for the club advertising!!!

Quote2cvs are like fat ugly birds, everyone wants a go as long as there mates dont find out!!!!

It's true, there's nothing particulary complex about the 2cv race or road it's down to peoples perception ... so how do we go about changing it or at least making them want to give it a go?

C x

Andrew Bull

Heres an Idea :idea:

Maybe we could all contact our local Citroen Dealerships to see if they would contemplate putting a race car on thier forecourt or showroom?  Eye catching for the dealership, they could sticker it up with their brand names, and we could have a season cost and contact details stickered on the cars.??

This may be a good opportunity when the season is over, and cars are stood doing nothing.  Lets put them to work as advertising show pieces.  Okay they'll have to be reasonably smart but thats not hard.

just another thought in my over active brain.  (and five minute tea break browsing the forum when i should be working).  
Regards
Andrew Bull
Andrew Bull

Catherine Noble

Geoff Archer

yea but, why would citroen dealers want an old modal car in the showroom? i once had my van and a red special in our local dealer, generated nowt for them only a bollocking of the citroen area manager!!!
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Catherine Noble

Valid point, but then that doesn't explain why the Citroen Dealer in Paisley has a Cloverleaf sitting in their showroom. Nobody can buy it or drive it's there purely for show. If approached from the right angle it could be worth a try ... nothing ventured nothing gained.

C x

Chris Yates

Where has this sudden dislike for drivers on a budget come from?

So, if a driver has enough money to enter a couple of races, but not enough to buy new tyres for a race he should sod off?

Rightly or wrongly this championship has always been viewed as a budget championship. Yes, motor racing is (already) expensive, but there's no need to make it more expensive than it already is.

And surely it's better for a driver to actually turn up to one or two races, pay the entry fee, and maybe forego the tyres this time, in order to keep the grid sizes up? Or would you rather he stays at home dreaming, the grids diminishing all the while...

Geoff Archer

Quote from: "Chris Yates"Where has this sudden dislike for drivers on a budget come from?

So, if a driver has enough money to enter a couple of races, but not enough to buy new tyres for a race he should sod off?

Rightly or wrongly this championship has always been viewed as a budget championship. Yes, motor racing is (already) expensive, but there's no need to make it more expensive than it already is.

And surely it's better for a driver to actually turn up to one or two races, pay the entry fee, and maybe forego the tyres this time, in order to keep the grid sizes up? Or would you rather he stays at home dreaming, the grids diminishing all the while...
the tyre converstaion came about due to them been very close well slightly bending the regs, thats how its started, so that driver could not actually afford to race, cos he couldnt keep the car legal!!
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313