Main Menu

ARE WE RACING NEXT YEAR?ITS UP TO YOU

Started by Paul Robertson, July 11, 2006, 17:30:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Sparrow

'BARC should help to promote what we do, not threaten to destroy it.
Write to them & tell 'em! '

Some one else that thinks the same - well done Rod
I've been saying this for 15 years
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

rod stead

At last!
Pete & I agree on something other than it's always his turn to buy the beers!

We should promote the series  - it's racing's best kept secret!

I think it's better as an endurance series because, other than Radicals & Britcar, there's nothing else running races over 1 hour in duration, & it's a very cost effective & entertaining formula in endurance form.

In sprint form, we have to recognise that we have competiton from series like the MX5's & MR2's, both of which can be built for less than a competitive 2CV costs.
The promoters will sell you an MR2, track prepared, for £3250!
They come with bullet-proof mechanicals as standard, look "right", are rear-wheel drive, are well promoted, have full grids etc..
These clubs are full of novice drivers - 'nuff said.

We need to learn from these championships: they provide a standard pack of parts to upgrade a road car to a race car for a modest cost, are well promoted & offer competitive racing.
Tempting, eh?

Paul Robertson

I don't see how a lack of cars is the fault of the barc .We had 33 cars and over 100 drivers out for the 24hr, the best we have acheived since is 17 .The race calendar for this season is by and large what we discussed at the agm and then asked for, we have all had plenty of time to plan our time around those meetings that fell after the 24hr race. There are over 50 cars in the club that means there are as many NOT racing as made up the grid for snetterton for the 24hr race.
We as a club need to get car owners to race thier cars NOT just sit looking at them for year after year.
I don't know that there is a simple answer to this but at the end of the day the result has to be MORE CARS ON THE GRID .
You can't rely on the same people to keep the series going so you can come out on the odd occasion .
Rant over
For now
Paul+

Andrew Bull

how did BARC decide that the silverstone event was the right one to cancel.  What was wrong with cancelling one of the other 4 event that are on.  Is it because
we may be percieved as the lowest life form of the racing world???
there are only two clubs to upset?? Us and 7's
they are deliberately trying to shut down the low end of the market??
They are trying to reduce the overall number of championships.  

The problem they dont seem to have grasped (as far as i can tell from a few years in the club) is that they dont realize that 99% of the club members and racers are not racers, but 2cv enthusiasts, whom without 2cv racing would not necessarily go and race something else.  This is where other more nondescript; multi make; and modern boring box on wheels; champioships shall always have an advantage.  They are not in it particularly for the cars, but for the racing.

Its not always black and white chequerd blood cells that pump through your viens but chevron shaped blood cells.

Give em some grief, protest, moan, gripe, they'll do what they like.  The fact that we still have falling grids is only giving them more ammunition.  

If you can race, race.  if you cant afford it, sell the car or rent it to somone who can, or doesnt have the ability / time to prep a car.   I'll always be in the pit lane and will fix anybody if they are stuck!!!!  

bring out the cars.  dont fuel the fire at BARC
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Trevor Williams

Have to agree with Paul above.

Calender for this year was what we wanted with the exception of a sprint and enduro at Croft.

The Championship doesnt work as solely sprint or enduro. We are restricted in the number of circuits that we can go to for enduros, as well as the number of other series that would put up with us doing enduros at the same meetings as them. Regularly the Grads discuss getting longer races, and if they did, guess who would get first choice due to their grid numbers

Anglesey was poorly attended. Full Stop. But the format was what was wanted. Yes it's 6 hours from anywhere in the country, but so what? If you want to race, thats where the race is.

Don't think that the 24hour race is the be all and end all. If we go down, so does that race!

Get your cars out or you will be looking at 540kg of scrap metal in your garages in a few years

Rant over

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Catherine Noble

Good points well made, so what's everyone going to do about it? Rantings all well and good. If the formats and dates are what was voted for then why on earth aren't the cars on the track?

C x

Marc Fenner

Is it worth looking into if we can join the legends?

If we can do that the commentator will be there. 2 great championships in one day.

rod stead

Putting my money where my mouth is, Simpson, Woodward & self are building a second car for 2007, to race, not to look at.

We haven't done more in 2006 because the calendar clashes with pre-ordaned events like family weddings, family holidays & work commitments.

Woodward has been given dispensation from the highest authority in the land AKA the wife, to do more racing in 2007.
He'd have done more in 2006 but .................

Simpson & I hope next years calendar fits more easily with other activities than this years.

Bob Rice

Lots of comments regarding the lack of interest and recognition from the BARC.

So lets go and talk to the 750 Motor Club, they would have us, and they love budget racing series.

Paul Robertson

Barc work out our entry fees based on 20 car grids so at anglesy they were down on the projected budget by 9x £170=£1530 and 6x£355=£2130 which comes to a staggering£3660.The losses based on 8 cars for silverstone were £5700 .
The only grid we have fulfilled their 20 car calculation is the 24hr race so every other meeting they have lost from their budget.
If I or any other sane business person had to chose which race meetings to run on the limited resourses at their disposal which would you cancel, those with confirmed entries or those which are losing you money?
As for the 750 motor club they have turned us down in the past when we made enquiries and it is unlikely they would have the resourses to run the 24hr race .

rod stead

If BARC & 750 MC don't want us then perhaps SEMSEC would?
They only use 2 circuits but it suits us soft southerners!

They are patient - still promoting grids of less than 10 for their single seater challenge - & they spun out the BMW series when it became too popular to run on their small circuit.

Perhaps we need to take a step backwards before going forwards.

Remember that  we're not the only BARC series that's struggling to field 20 car grids, so we shouldn't beat ourselves up too much.

If the 24 hour race is lost, that's the end of the series, I fear.
We have to do whatever we can to keep that event going while we re-think everything else.

Bob Rice

I agree with your scenario completely Rod, the biggest problem for 2CV's going forward is that they don't mix comfortably with other classes, whereas most other struggling Series can usually be amalgamated with another.
Certainly as it stands, if we believe the losses described by Paul, the series will become a once a year feature race at Snetterton.

Maybe we should forget about the "MSA National Championship" status, and shop around for some cheaper events at Club level, the club could still run a points system.

rod stead

Thanks Bob, nice to know someone else is on my wavelength.

The unique point of 2CV's is the ability to do endurance racing for a sensible price.

I'm sure the EERC would be delighted to provide us with an hour or so at their meetings - the entry fees give them better recovery for the cost of hiring the circuit.

Sprint racing in 2CV's is as expensive as any other car - the entry fees are the same as the BARC run URS series, but they get the best circuits (like Thruxton) & garages!

The great thing about this club is that at least we're addressing the problem early & not ducking the issues.
I am grateful that Paul has brought this issue to the forefront of our minds early enough for us to plan a response or alternate strategy.

Catherine Noble

Whilst that may suit southern softies, it kills us Scots and northerners! Like we don't have enough travelling to do already!

No easy answers by the looks of things.

C x

Richard hollis

i've got an idea why don't we promote the championship using some of the clubs money? Oh no i've already said that.

seriously thought, why not?

Another stupid yellow face is in order :?:  :shock: