Main Menu

Diluted Orange prefers it Dry

Started by Christian Callander, July 12, 2006, 23:30:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Callander

Having finally logged on before I'd forgotten password (thanks Dick) I thought a race report from nearly a weener and a thanks would be worth a try.
Friday was my birthday so I had the day off - painted wings and loaded the car and van. The panels fell over before they'd dried, the gearbox broke while loading and I suffered a blow-out on the van on the M6. I therefore did not arrive in good spirits nor on my birthday at Anglessey.
Gearbox nut secured and all ratios available meant qualifying was possible. Harper induction bits on an engine which had only just been wed to heads recovered from Snetterton dead 'un produced good sprint speed. Good enough enough for Q2 (unaided). And then it rained.
An okay start consolidated 2nd but on the second lap, kerb hopping pulled off a plug lead from the coil. On half steam the following pack sailed past in the spray. Gravity secured the plug lead once more and normal service was resumed. On catching the pack tentative braking at the hairpin resulted in locked wheels, a trip to the grass and an intimate moment with tyre barrier. Red flags enabled my escape to the pits and possibility of a restart. Schumacher would be proud. Anyhows - slow to  restart and too much caution converted Q2 to P7.
Gales and rain must have cleared heads. Partner Graham Harper did the first qualifying session and together Q2 was secured. A spritely bound from the start put Harper ahead of Robertson. Unused to turning right without a guide,  Harper tripped over his own tyres and dropped into the pack. From the commentary position (you should have a go!) I had a good view of his dice with Aubrey Bottlebank. Dry conditions meant an early change and when I took over I was soon circulating with Captain Pete Sparrow. No quarter was asked or given as we pulled through the pack lapping all but Trevor and ultimate victors Leith & Adnitt. Q2 to P3 - safe points for everyone.
Thanks to Catherine for ensuring sufficient fuel. Graham for fixing 'box, company and driving. Erica buying sprint entry for birthday. Tete Rouge for getting me out again and Trev and Sparra for a clean contest thoughout

Catherine Noble

:) Anytime Christian, I had a fab time and Erica and I make a great commentary team (in our opinions of course ;) )

C x