Main Menu

Silverstone 2006 Possible Date And Venue Change or Cancel

Started by Trevor Williams, July 19, 2006, 09:45:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Allan

8 entries is a red herring and they know it.  We always pile in the entries at the last minute.  My entry form is next to me on my desk, not suprisingly I wont be sending it in.

Ben

Derek Coghill

My confirmation-of-entry slips arrived in today's post, so I phoned BARC to see if that meant that the race was going ahead at Silverstone. Nicola didn't know yet, but a decision is to be made on Monday.

Paul Robertson

Ben ,the problem with so many people waiting until AFTER the closing date to enter, is it makes it appear that we have yet another miniscule grid no wonder they are thinking of cancelling our race meeting.

Bob Rice

So the cancellation is all down to the 2CV entry then is it Paul, nothing to do with the lack of Marshalls, or the Caterham Academy (I imagine as always there will be plenty of them entered, and annoyed by the cancellation, maybe we should pop across to their Forum?), or no fault on the Classic clubmans, or the Mod Prods.
Maybe, as indicated by Pete above, if the BARC changed it's attitude to 2CV's, you might stand a chance of improving the Grids, but isn't it also a fact that most 2CV's are retained purely for the 24 hour race, take that away and you might as well turn the lights out.

Derek Coghill

Why wait until after the closing date to enter a race? It costs more.

Andy Craig-Smith

Surely when the 2006 calendar was drawn up BARC knew they had a busy schedule ?
Shitty end of the stick again. What complete incompetence, was looking forward to Silverstone after missing Anglesey.
Why us?
For what it was worth me a Mad pete was doing both endurace & sprint races.
Don't fancy Snetterton in October though, it was cold enough for the 24hour !!!!!!

Alas, I better go and light that barb-e-que I aquired from Snet 24hour !!!!

ARSE ARSE.

Rant over.
Rocket Dog Racing

Bob Rice

Quote[/Why wait until after the closing date to enter a race? It costs more."
perhaps it's got something to do with people having lives, jobs, families  and responsibilities that affect there availability.

Certainly in my case I often don't know until days before whether I may have work on a Saturday.

Incidently, I often race at club level with the BARC (7 races so far this year), when a local region will be responsible for organising the event, not only are these races cheaper than any offered to us with the 2CV, I often don't enter until the Thursday prior to the event - I never get charged a penalty. So late entry penalties deter me from entering at all, another reason why grids a poor perhaps

Derek Coghill

Fair enough, when circumstances dictate it's fine. But if you intend racing and put off sending off the form until the last minute it doesn't help anybody; us because Trev gets stroppy, BARC because they think no-one's coming, and paying punters because the late entries don't appear in the programme.

Martin Harrold

It seems that most are against the possible race at Snet, for reasons which I can well understand. However, if it is on, Team Fine print will probably be there.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Martin Harrold

I forgot to mention that our driver Jez Clark was out in the Max5 at Silverstone today. He came from 24th on the grid (dry practice) to win in the wet.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Steve Cowell

The older I get,the faster I was (not)

Richard hollis

Yes hollis motorsport have 3 cars entered for silverstone again, Nigel's just paid £90 to join the BARC, seems a bit much that he has to pay that now when he can only enter mallory.

If the calenders busy why did they only just realise it now, surely they've had plenty of time to sort out marshalls. I was speaking to a guy i know who regularly marshalls for silverstone and he said he had just had a letter requesting marshalls for the event but was amazed that they were thinking of cancelling.

I'm quite happy (maybe along with some other 2cv drivers) to marshall for all the other races, and if their drivers could marshall for us, problem solved.

Alternatively why doesn't the BARC use the £700 the hollis family have collectively paid it, to pay the marshalls expenses, buy them beer etc to encourage them to attend this lowly, low class, low profile event.

Oh a yes how many people's shorten holidays start on August 6th or 7th, i know mine does. I'm still not amused, in fact i'm so annoyed i'm going to use one of those stupid yellow faces  :evil:

Terry Scannell

Quote from: "Richard hollis"If the calenders busy why did they only just realise it now, surely they've had plenty of time to sort out marshalls.
:

Richard,

We Snett marshals would certainly have been able to assist except for one small factor; we have a 2 day BARC meeting on the 5th/6th August and then the following week another 2/3day BTCC round organised by BARC.

In addition on the 5th Aug BARC are also running a club meeting at Oulton Park, a Sprint at Curborough, on the 5th/6th a Dunlop Festival meeting at Thruxton and a Hillclimb at Harewood on the 6th Aug.

This is without any meetings being organised by other clubs the same weekend - therefore it is not surprising that BARC are finding themselves short of marshals - unfortunately it looks remarkably like a BARC own goal with the 2CV club being the ones left with the short straw! Perhaps BARC themselves should explain why they plan so many events on the same weekend.

Terry

Bob Rice

Thanks for explaining that Terry.

I would just like to point out once again that it is not just the 2CV club that has been left with the short straw - or have the Caterhams and Clubman racers been offered alternatives already?