Main Menu

So what do you tow with?

Started by Simon Crook, December 05, 2006, 21:03:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Crook

So as the heading says "what do you tow with?" Im starting to think about next season regarding what to tow with and whats ideal, I can tow the race car with my disco 3 no problem, until we get to the track, in between races with the kids (one 6 yrs and one 2yrs) and of course SWMBO who needs to keep the kids entertained. Thought about a motorhome but I think to much money to use it for 5 times a year, maybe one of the firms merc vans (we have an old sprinter which will be retired soon) what do we do if we overnight, rough it, tent it , kids would love it but the wife :x  So suggestions on a post card please.............
Simon Crook - Back Racing in 2013
LUMACA RACING

Paul Robertson

Sprinter for you and swmbo and chuck the kids in a tent at the side, then when you win they won't be in the way of the winners shag.

Ben Allan

Renting a van per race works out less than annual total cost of ownership.

Give your car to your wife and ask her to come along with the kids.  Once she gest bored keeping them in tow around the paddock, negotiate hard on babysitting terms for the rest of the weekends.

Ben

Pete Sparrow

having a van doesn't guarantee a winners shag i can tell you, even if has curtains and a sink
(or a motorhome for that matter)
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Derek Coghill

I would suggest that a Vauxhall Victor isn't that practical (but you can sleep on the bench seat). BX or Xantia estate and a tent.

Simon Crook

thats some guarantee :shock:  I better get an engine to you Paul if thats the case :P
LUMACA RACING

Christian Callander

What you need is the Talivan - not be confused with severe religious types. A fine Italian Turbo diesel steed in the ugly style. I'm flogging my Fiat Ducato Maxi (LWB hi-Top) Turbo diesel to clear some space in Essex for Herman the Hymer.
- Fast 2.4  diesel
- Side Awning
- Bunks for Winner and Mrs Winner
- Lower Seating for Winners brood
- It has a hold to carry spare tyres, spare engine (necessary if you're having a Robbo  :) unit)
- Good tyres
- recent clutch and battery
- Asking about £850
- 07780 668302 ask for Winner Dad

Richard hollis

what you really need is Thunderbird 3, the infamous purpose built race transporter seen at the 2cv meetings and now for sale! Its a 20ft long Renault Mastervan 3axle 2.5 diesel. Will take a mini in the back but could fit a 2cv. We've used the back for kit and spares and towed the 2cv behind no problem. In the front it features 2 single beds and a double, sitting for 7, table, sink, cooker and cool box. There a fixed generator in the back to provide 240v. Engine is newly fitted and in good condition having covered just 120k. Comes with 12months MOT. If interested ring for price its not as much as you might think!! 07881 701099

Pete Sparrow

Whats this?
try and sell the new guy all the left overs?
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

rod stead

Get yourself a cara-trailer!

I've converted a Dastle racebox so that the front section is a caravan (beds, telly & fridge for the beers) with just enough room in the rear for a car.
Just needs a side-awning, then it'll be perfect!

Towed behind a FIAT Ulysses (as chipped by P.Sparrow himself), makes life very comfortable.
No expense of motorhome etc..

Fortunately my family show no interest in coming racing, so I've got the best of both worlds.

Steve Cowell

Get somebody else to buy the car and tow it there,then turn up in the in-laws new caravanette  :lol:  works for me !!
The older I get,the faster I was (not)

Andrew Bull

Simon,

The disco makes a great tow vehicle with the obvious benefits of grass paddock ability rather than the 2wd vans that are around.  We have done a number of all the options as non racing personel,  but still bringing plenty of kit like tools etc.  

Camping.  Great fun, (if the missus is up for it).  Kids will love the adventure, but damp, cold, getting dressed to go for a pee blah blah blah.  It has the advantage of not requireing another £1000 / year running costs though.  

Disco + Box trailer.  Gadget has performed this admirably over the years.  You have the advantage of space but non of the refinements that storing something that large could present if it was a camper.  

Large Motorhomes.  Down sides, Phenominally (is that spelt right) expensive, costly to run.  all the family under one roof, and you dont have to get dressed to go for a pee in the middle of the night.  Tow very well and you can do more than 50 if your not towing.  For family hol's outside of racing.  

Van based camper  (My preference)  Not as costly to run, can be used as a runabout / second car short term.  not as high investment.  You can opt for the old company merc, and have it professionally converted for around 7-9K.  

I'm doing a conversion myself on a 53plate renault master LWB High top to my own spec. Space is okay, I have my toilet (and more importantly, shower) on board, and can stop on route and not have my wallet felt by ronald mcdonald or a little thief.  Put the kettle on make your own.  (This also applies to bigger motorhomes). Total cost was £8K for van, about £6k for all new fitting.  Its resale value should be a little over the build cost.  Obviously buying an old camper / caravan and throwing its guts in a panel van would be alot cheaper and you dont have to buy a newish van for the base.

You could also buy christians rough but practical lwb hitop Ducato. (By the way that's cheap!)  That will get you to the circuits but has little by way of luxury.  Its built to haul and perform rather be a pretty place for fine dining.  
The alternative is do what christian has done now he has winner baby to bring and buy an 'old' camper or accident damaged / vandalised van for 10% of its real value and have a bit of work done on it.  Okay it may look dated but functionally and comfort wise it shoud be a dream home comapred to a tent in november.  

Lengthy but hopefully useful
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Simon Crook

Thanks Andrew still trying to decide which is the best option, Camping is out SWMBO won't entertain that!

Simon
LUMACA RACING

Simon Leith

Simon

If you do decide to go for an American (larger) motorhome, there is always the option to rent it out via a rentals company. We did thid all year and the income far outweighed the running costs and depreciation.

So, we had a fair amount of luxury while racing, had a couple of weekends away on holiday, and got paid for the pleasure...HAPPY DAYS !

Simon

Andrew Bull

Simon,

Assuming Disco is company car, swap it for a Nissan Navara pickup or L200 kind of vehicle.  What you save in tax, you could then spend on a demountable.  not very big, but you dont have to drive it around all year.  Hook up the car trailer and plonk the de mount on the back.  Kids in tent = Peace and quiet for winners special moments.  Okay, one flaw, no where for spares other than in trailer / race car.

Alternatively buy a safari box thingy for the roof of the disco.  Kids in roof tent.  SWMBO and yourself inside disco.  If swmbo made some curtains for disco it could be quite cosy :?:  :!:

Oh what the f***, go and buy a 40ft trailer with tractor unit  from mclarens old stock.    :lol:  :lol:
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013