Main Menu

2007 Predictions - how did you do?

Started by rod stead, May 29, 2007, 22:56:27

Previous topic - Next topic

rod stead

Steve Panas is obviously not a man to go to the bookies with!
Contrast & compare the prediction with the reality.

Prediction
Car 54 - Pret-a-boire
Another contender out of the dark horse stable. The entry was in doubt right up to the wire but thankfully completed. Very strong driver lineup with John Diffey breaking the lap record in a race at Donington. Nick and Pete have not raced recently but can be deadly on their day. Rod Stead has brought together a definite top ten finisher. Here is an entry that could almost do anything. I would not be suprised to see them in the lead group at some stage. Predict top 10 and even a podium if the favourites have a bad day at the office.

Reality
With his lack of recent race experience, Nick proceeded to go farming on lap 6, so 30 minutes into the race, we were already 12 laps down!
More agricultural moments followed in his other sessions.
Promptly ridiculed by the rest of the team for his performance, he announced his retirement from the sport at the end of the event.

Pete was deadly on the day, as anyone who followed him to the toilets will confirm, but his driving lacked the usual sparkle.
Excelled as a sous chef & bottle washer during the event.  
Announced his retirement from the sport during the event, declining to do his final driving stint.
Is threatening to take up caravaning for a hobby.

Rod & John were surprised that on occasions the event degenerated into banger racing but thoroughly enjoyed the racing & will be back.

In summary, the team had a bad day, unlike the favourites & finished 32nd.

So, not much similarity with the prediction!

Bob Rice

As we shared the Pit with you Rod, we may as well join in -

Prediction

Car 44 - BRM's
Bob Rice and Keith Shoebridge are two of the keenest supporters of the new enduro race formula the club has adopted this year. Yet again they and Steve Cowell bring the BRM car to Snetterton in great expectation. Another difficult one to predict. Keep the car on the track and pitstops to a minimum and this could make a top ten finish. Predict 10th - 20th.

Reality

Keith and Steve made it to Friday testing and posted some encouraging times, however disappointingly for Steve, who had great expectations,  this translated to start position 20 after qualifying.
The car was nevertheless running well, and excepting some problems with the lighting we retired contentedly to our sacks on Saturday.
Sunday free practice, disaster, the Car refused to play, and the session passed into the distant past before a fault was found and repaired in the ignition loom.
The car ran well in the early stages of the race, climbing to a heady 14th (I think), before dropping back down the field following a fractured oil feed pipe, gear lever problems and finally a late engine change, which was rapidly followed by another engine out to fix a clutch 'problem. Eventually finishing 24th with Keith at the wheel.
"Banger Racing?, I thought it better resembled Autocross racing, certainly it was difficult to determine where the tarmac finished and the fields began!!
Steve and Keith enjoyed the racing, experiencing one or two 'offs' or spins, but Bob who was unable to match their wet weather pace had a miserable time, also declining to do his final stint, having, on Saturday evening, announced his intention to retire from 2CV race driving after the event. Certainly the conditions didn't diminish this intention.

So definitely a Race of mixed fortunes, as to next year, that depends on Keith and Steve....watch this space!!

Derek Coghill

Car 33 - Red Nose Scotland
Back to roots racer Derek Coghill has also spent time and even money this year on the car. Fantastic top ten finish at Brands last month ensured the car is now responding. This car will reinforce the Scottish effort on the race. Predict - Expect to see the car flirt with a top half finish.

We flirted with a second-half finish, but spent most of the race in the top half (don't think we got into single figures though). 17th so top half having gone for it at the end to get past car 88. Failed to get past Findlay more than once (it had to be 4 times!) and Whitwell (never saw them) though. Improved on the best lap time too. Splish splosh, what a lot of fun. Apart from being in the garage (wind tunnel) or on the pit wall (wind chill factor).

Nothing broke, absolutely nothing. A couple of stops for pull-the-wing-off-the-wheel stuff; apart from that it was just fuel. Can't have used more than a pint of oil either. So my nice new shell's still nice.

Ben Allan

Car 76 - Argent Provocateur
Ben has to be one of the unluckiest entrants here this year. Several pages could be written just here. Expect plenty of drama both in the pits and on track. Life is not dull for this car. This was purchased from Fine Print a couple of years ago and in its day was fast with the right driver. Ben has only one ambition and that is to finish above Team Fine Print. Predict that that ambition will still be, an ambition. 2nd half finish

Trailer brake down before the race suggested usual luck would run.  However, car ran tremendously in the dry and got 7th fastest at night 12th overall.  New dances were invented and demonstarted in garage 25!  Aided by the 1st lap whoopsee this was converted into lying 7th on the 2nd lap.  The car then demonstrated that whilst Ben now understands engine preps he knows nothing about chassis.  The "Greased Pig with Rabies" then spat its drivers off continuously throughout the race resulting in 2 tow backs, an engine failure, and 2 engagements with Fine Print.  One up the chuff in the 1st session and then the air conditioning move.  Ended 26th and no dancing.

Geoff Archer

is nine laps a country mile?

oh i 2 announced my gardening leave for next year, (dependant on offers)
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Andrew Bull

"Bob who was unable to match their wet weather pace had a miserable time, also declining to do his final stint, having, on Saturday evening, announced his intention to retire from 2CV race driving after the event."

If i am right in my assumption that this is Mr Rice's intention, (and not another Bob in the team),  then after just two events in the new season with the new format, the man whom campaigned hardest for the format is withdrawing from it?? :?:  :oops:
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

Andrew Bull

Since when did you ever do any gardening?  I know you'll be wanting to tune the briggs and stratton!!  Twin carbs or fuel injection!???
Andrew Bull

Oli Hall

The 14 yr olds will miss you Geoff.

Is it uphill gardening leave that you are going on?

Geoff Archer

NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Andrew Bull

No, thats Cyprus.  Its not in europe thoughcos they've never heard of a mile.
Andrew Bull

Bob Rice

How did I get labeled with the "campaigning hardest" tag? I admit to playing the Devils advocate but would refer to the following quotes from last years forum..

QuoteWhatever you do it will need to be radical, from my own experience of two seasons involvement, I can tell you that I can't see me ever prefering this series over my Club level Caterham races (and believe me that has cost me less than the 2CV over the last two seasons), unless something changes.

and this...
QuoteRegarding the Chairmanship comments, I tried to make my position on all of this clear by comments within my postings such as "I don't pretend to know how to do that" and "See you at Silverstone - 9th, 10th September". But please don't interperate that as me not caring about the club, though I will be even less involved in the racing next year.

no change there then!

I will continue as always to prefer my Caterham racing, I will possibly race again in the Brit Car 24hrs, I will still wherever possible support our car, Keith, Steve and anyone else who elects to drive it.

Oh! and not having been at the AGM, I certainly didn't get to vote on this years format. But regardless of all of that, am I mistaken, or aren't the Grids so far this year bigger than in the recent past...I wonder why...

Pete Sparrow

Geoff.
i think one country mile is equal to about 18 normal ones.
we'll get a scanner for next year.
i've never been to Turkey.
As for the Rice/Stead garage, jeez, glad i wasn't in there,  that must have been some dark cloud over that garage, it appears half the field has bailed out. Bob instructs, Nick is multiple race winner and Pete is Pete (with shed loads of experience) Why have you lot now decided your no good? you just had a bad weekend that's all. Not being 'quick' doesn't mean you can't race, i know loads of people who come and have fun (Simon Leith) that struggle to steer a motor. It would be a great shame for anyone to leave under these circumstances, chill for a bit and re-group those thoughts into good thoughts, positive thoughts and get back out. Take a leaf out of Bens book, sounds like that went quite wrong but he is not giving up. Come on Rod - don't sell the car.
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)

Bob Rice

Pete, thanks, I appreciate your comments. Please don't misunderstand, as stated my decision to 'step down' was taken before the race, indeed even before the weekend and not as a result of the conditions. Indeed I have never enjoyed exceptional success in racing, so would argue that I have always Raced for 'fun'.
Also, my decision was implemented only at a time when I was confident that we could put together a team for next years 24hrs.
I would like to think that Keith and Steve (finances allowing) will continue to make good use of the car particularly as they both enjoy the driving more than I do, I am happy to continue investing time and, as part owner, where appropriate money into the Car.
As for me, family (who don't share my interest), and work commitments (to Caterham and Everyman), which I enjoy, are beginning to intrude more and more into my weekends. Therefore my opportunities to give up entire weekends without letting someone down are becoming more and more difficult. It's all a question of priorities.
And finally, just to confirm that as far as I am aware, our Car is not up for sale, and is a possible, I believe for Spa.

rod stead

Thanks for those words of encouragement, Pete.
I'm keen to do the event again, as is John.

As you know, I'm more challenged by time & technical incompetance than money, so need someone to help prepare the car, what's left of it.

If Nick & Pete bail out, I'm stuffed.
Pete is sadly a definite non-runner as a driver, but might be persuaded to come back as cooks helper.

Got hold of Nick tonight & plied him with beer - there's talk of yet another comeback to deal with "unfinished business", so if he's up for it, so am I.

If he's not, I'll happily buy a drive.

Pete Sparrow

that's the spirit chaps.
as you know Rod, help in reply for money can always be arranged by one of us.
make a list of what went wrong now while you remember and sort thought it this year in rediness for next year, easy really
The older I get, the more rubbish I talk
(and the more pills I take)