Main Menu

Anglesey - BARC NW Concerns re Grid Size

Started by Trevor Williams, June 18, 2007, 11:39:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard hollis

On the issue of contact, i only hit one car during the whole 24hrs (yes it was the winning ECAS car but they were emergency stopping as a car was spinning broadside infront of them and i was in their tow!). My car has done the last 6 24hr races and prior to that had been raced on and off since 1990. It still features its original chassis, bonnet, boot, full set of original doors etc, if the racing was that bad i'd doubt these items would have survived over the last 17yrs!

On the issue of grid sizes, entry fees are the main factor keeping all 3 of the blue/orange Hollis cars in the garage. I appreciate per minute/lap the cost is cheaper than sprint racing, but if i want track time i'll go testing. We are still supporting the club by running a hire car at every round.

Finally will the AGM be brought forward so we can discuss a proposal like Steve Panas proposed last year, i remember it was roughly something like £1600 for season, 6 rounds, 3 short races per round and minimum of 16 drivers pay full costs up front. Then you wouldn't need to worry about entries for each round.

Richard.

Trevor Williams

Richard
I dont think that only having one car hired out is supporting the club

No, the AGM will not be brought forward

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Andrew Bull

On the issue of contact  during 24hr.

Tete rouge 1 suffered no panel damage.   Fastest car on track with a 2cv novice on board.  All drivers have raced for years, one being a pro.  

Tete rouge 2 Damage to rear end on two occassions.  Rear wings.  

Tete rouge 3 Light front wing damage that required a quick tap and off we go.  Didnt even break any spot lights.  

Tell me that thats not a good result considering we raced flat out, for 24hrs in the dark, wet, and through the debris, for over 1200 miles.  
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew Bull
Tête Rouge Racing with Habitabull & Propolis
Rookie Champion       2022
team champions         1998 2000 2008 2009 2013
24hr winners               2005 2006 2009 2010 
championship winner 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2013

David Sullivan

Quote from: Mary Lindsay
Even if it was OK to race I would not recommend the series as it stands to any novice driver.
Im a novice driver & from what ive found so far this racing club is more than i could have hoped for, everyone is of a friendly nature & the racing is close & competitive. I think you should judge your levels of contact in more suitable conditions than what we had at snetterton, as from the post race report from brands there was only one coming together in the whole race & both cars continued & finished (one even on the podium) it was just unfortunate that your teams first race in a 2cv was the weekend god decided to go to the toilet.

May i also suggest to the club that maybe next year that we have a single one hour race after the 24hr to keep the costs down, or that we race at mallory if possible as this seems to be the cheapest track to race at from the entry fees this year?

Paul Robertson

the entry fees for this season i beleive come to £2500 for some reason ,as that isn't what we were quoted but how can we argue the cost of them with the barc when we don't have enough entries.However 2 people sharing a car that becomes £1250 per driver  not £1600and for that you get 41/2 hrs racing each not 3 3/4 hrs including qualifying.You also get three chances each weekend that someone will drive into your car because he knows the race is won in the first corner.If don't want tracktime what on earth do you want to go racing for ? oh no thats right you don't want to race you just want to start and then stop again.
IKNOW WHY DONT WE SPLIT THE 24 HR INTO 120  6LAP SPRINTS THEN WE ALL GET LOTS OF STARTS FOR OUR MONEY AS THEY ARE THE ONLY BIT THATS FUN. Well there are two starts next weekend on two new circuits which won't be fun to race on and i guess you aren't doing either of them .

Geoff Archer

contact??
i think people were lucky not to be contacted!!

lucky some of you lot dont do toca or gt3 then, expensive contact there!
i thought some contact just came with close racing, but then a gain i dont prepare cars to do follow my leader! its racing not some sunday ride round the country!!!!

its simple, stop moaning, if you want to race a car in the 24hr ( may be some of you only want to bimble round) next year, enter the races this year or we may not have a wet/dry 24 hr next year!!!!!!

its not as if you lot just found out the entry needs paying now only had 5 months to plan!!!!!

preperation is not just for the car you know!!!

in the old days 3 races in europe as well asthe uk were the norm
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

helen deeley

Mary, speaking as a novice, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the club to anyone. I got hit twice when I was in the car at Snett, both fairly minor, & we took another heavier impact over the weekend. It was virtually impossible to stay on the track at times & the conditions were truly horrendous, just look at the pics. Its a close, competitive championship, which makes it exciting. If I wanted to be in a procession Id go to my local carnival. And my incident at Brands was because I got the line wrong & hit the gravel. Come out to play at another meeting before you judge it. The support I've had has been more than I could have hoped for.
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Andrew Bull

And the car helen rolled in practise at brands hatch, made both qualifying, and the race at Brands, and subsequently finished 3rd at the 24hr!!
Andrew Bull

Andy Downes

Quote from: "Geoff Archer"contact??

i thought some contact just came with close racing, but then a gain i dont prepare cars to do follow my leader! its racing not some sunday ride round the country!!!!

its simple, stop moaning, if you want to race a car in the 24hr ( may be some of you only want to bimble round) next year, enter the races this year or we may not have a wet/dry 24 hr next year!!!!!!

Geoff,

Luck doesn't come in to it - that's precisely why we don't do that kind of Series - but it's obviously good for business. You don't need contact to have good competitive racing.

It may be OK if you pay someone to maintain your car between rounds with a fully equipped workshop, but running it from home alongside a full time job - then serious damage takes time to rectify. We may have considered Anglsey but with the car out of action, no chance.

Nobody's moaning it's actually a healthy discussion about different experiences at Snetterton and general comments about driving standards. Some contact is inevitable (particularly in the conditions at Snetterton) but if it becomes the norm it may dissuade people and undermine the viability of the Championship.

Still what do I know  :lol:

Andy Downes
Inworth Racing Extravaganza

Paul Robertson

Andy if you can make anglesey we can supply a crewed car for £200 so with the discounted entry that would be £585 for the weekend.
Paul
Apparently this is not available now.

helen deeley

I reckon there'd be a lot more contact if we went for sprint races, with the suicidal dash to the first corner, and the 2nd, and the 3rd etc etc. I like the enduros, I get lots of tracktime under racing conditions, I'm out with a bunch of cars that are all basically the same (how terrifying was testing at Brands being out with cars that were so much faster than ours) & while I appreciate that there will always be quicker 2cvs, I will always get a race with somebody & a good result is as much about the driver as the car
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Andrew Bull

Dont forget that with sprints, there's nothing for the pit crew to do during the race. No driver changes, which all form part of the overall finishing position.  

Also with a 10 lap sprint race, if theres a major incident which brings out the red flags 2/3rds of the way through, you may actually only get 7 laps as the result can be declared.  (I dont know the exact figure)..
Andrew Bull

Trevor Williams

Bully
In National B races, which we are, the figure is 50% of race distance. This is noted on the timetable for the event which is constantly monitored in Race Control
I won't tell you that the first thing checked when a red flag is thrown is what lap it is - damn, I just did!!!
The last two meetings that I have attended, quite a lot of red flags were used, some of them contributing to shortened races for the competitors
Isnt it good to have a trainee CoC in the midst?!!!?
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Paul Robertson

So we could have 3 lap races then trev .
Start then stop .
That sounds familiar.

Geoff Archer

Quote from: "Andy Downes"
Quote from: "Geoff Archer"contact??

Geoff,

Luck doesn't come in to it - that's precisely why we don't do that kind of Series - but it's obviously good for business. You don't need contact to have good competitive racing.

It may be OK if you pay someone to maintain your car between rounds with a fully equipped workshop, but running it from home alongside a full time job - then serious damage takes time to rectify. We may have considered Anglsey but with the car out of action, no chance.

Nobody's moaning it's actually a healthy discussion about different experiences at Snetterton and general comments about driving standards. Some contact is inevitable (particularly in the conditions at Snetterton) but if it becomes the norm it may dissuade people and undermine the viability of the Championship.

Still what do I know  :lol:

Andy Downes
Inworth Racing Extravaganza

driving standards have improved a lot this keeps comming up every other year, we seem to alternate between the camshaft debate, then driving standards then sprint vs enduro

looking at other close racing we have as i see it a very low damage ratio, we cant judge stds on one race, luck dose have a large role to play in damage in a race like the 24 hr was, luck that we didnt get collected by a spinner,
when getting a tow rear end damage and bonnet damage will happen, drivers in a 24hr should always use there mirrors as much as the windscreen to be aware of whats behind and may be comming though!

any damage my cars have suffered is mainly when we have been at the rear of the grid!

maybe a novice cross sort of thing is needed in a long endurance to inform them of there status?

no one i know causes damage on purpose, remember that!

i cant remember any other series getting 4 cars a breast in corners, if the front runners can do it why cant others.
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313