Main Menu

Silverstone ,who's going?

Started by Paul Robertson, July 03, 2007, 11:55:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Allan

Trev,

I'm not sure who you are having a go at here.  

Is it those that are going to come but aren't rushing with the paperwork?

Is it those that said they would come but now are not?

Or is it those that never said they would come and still aren't?

I'm confused as to who are the pathetic ones.  FYI I'm always late with my entries, it adds to my allure as an International Man of Mystery.

Ben

Trevor Williams

I'm not having a go at anyone in particular, just stating facts.

I have received my tickets and final instructions and there are 6 entries at the time of "closing" which looks pathetic - FACT

All those who have entered after 2nd July run the risk of BARC taking the late entry fee off them - FACT

We have 60 is racing members, and only 6 can get the entry in on time? Doesn't particularly help me when I am complaining to BARC regarding shoddy treatment at Anglesey - FACT

I am losing all motivation to work on the clubs behalf because the membership doesn't want to support the races that have been organised (mostly to fit in with peoples requests regarding format and spacing between events - FACT

What would you do if you were BARC? Take our complaints seriously? Or not?

Cheers

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Frank Barnard

I sympathise with Trevor. Not only is the running of the Club itself based on volunteers caring enough to do an often thankless job, but so is motor-sport in general. The much-maligned BARC has a relatively small full-time management team. The balance comprises enthusiasts who fulfil many roles just because they are enthusiasts, notably race-day officials such as clerks of the course, scrutineers and probably most important of all, marshals. Without these people nobody would go motor-racing.
Personally, I'm a bit puzzled about why it seems so difficult to submit an entry by the closing date. Is it cash-flow, indecision, placing it low on the list of priorities, what? If tardiness gives the impression to the BARC that the Club is in a shaky state, then the solution is obvious.
Having read the various forum entries about the health of the Club it does seem to me, as something of an outsider these days, that the Club is approaching a somewhat critical time. It only takes laziness or indifference to kill the whole thing, and then it might be a shock for members with realise what they've lost. Quite apart from being stuck with race-cars that have nowhere to go. It almost makes you wonder whether the 24-Hours in some way works against the health of the rest of the calendar, with people gearing up for that one big event and not having the energy, the commitment and the resources to bother with the rest. Heresy, I know, but a programme of shorter, cheaper sprints might be worth considering! Or take a deep breath and stage only long-distance enduros, in the manner of the Le Mans Series, say three twelve-hour events. We all like to pretend we're Steve McQueen and kid ourselves we're driving at Le Sarthe. This way we could indulge our fantasies and also attract those other, less committed competitors attracted from other formulae by the big event.
Not sure if all this makes any kind of sense, but I'm going to press the 'Submit' button anyway...

Paul Robertson

Makes sense to me frank. In an earlier post andy downes mentioned that the 24hr being so soon into the season makes people aim for that and that alone .
 If this is the case maybe we would be better if it was the last race of the season and the entryfee somehow linked to how many rounds your car had done .
The more you support the club the less you pay .

Derek Harnett

As a long distance observer, I've been watching this for a while and puzzling over how you might fix the problem.

The 24 hour is a huge draw into the series, it certainly was key in getting me to compete in three championship years.  To lose it I think would kill the class, but in keeping it something has to change to get it back to the point where it is feeding into the championship not starving it.

End of season 24hr race makes huge sense to me.  Newcomers have all season to try out their cars in earlier championship rounds and the wear and tear on the cars from the 24hr doesn't affect other races.  You build up to the season highlight rather than having it in May and the rest of the season in it's shadow.

I don't think you want the race too late in the year, so it might mean a lot of other races in the April - July time with the 24 hour late July or August.

Best suggestion in a long time, got to be worth a try .....

Trevor Williams

Silverstone Entry latest:

Silverstone
21/07/2007
2CV Parts.com Championship
8   Trevor Williams   SWC Racing   Citroen 2CV   602
9   David Sullivan   Tete Rouge Racing   Citroen 2CV   602
9   Sammie Fritchley   Driver   Citroen 2CV   602
12   Aubrey Brocklebank   Driver   Citroen 2CV   602
13   Paul Robertson   Tete Rouge / Myatts.co.uk   Citroen 2CV   602
13   Philip Myatt   Tete Rouge /Myatts.co.uk   Citroen 2CV   602
33   Derek Coghill   Driver   Citroen 2CV   602
40   Brian Doherty   Driver   Citroen 2CV   602
40   Nick Roads   Crisis Racing   Citroen 2CV   602
47   Helen Deeley   Driver   Citroen 2CV   602
66   Nick Grant   Driver   Citroen 2CV   602
68   Frank Barnard   Driver   Citroen 2CV   602
68   Richard Hollis   Hollis Motorsport Power By Nigellspeeds   Citroen 2CV   602
90   Darren Baker   J B Doors Racing   Citroen 2 CV   602
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Mary Lindsay

QuoteThe 24 hour is a huge draw into the series, it certainly was key in getting me to compete in three championship years. To lose it I think would kill the class, but in keeping it something has to change to get it back to the point where it is feeding into the championship not starving it.

End of season 24hr race makes huge sense to me. Newcomers have all season to try out their cars in earlier championship rounds and the wear and tear on the cars from the 24hr doesn't affect other races. You build up to the season highlight rather than having it in May and the rest of the season in it's shadow.

I don't think you want the race too late in the year, so it might mean a lot of other races in the April - July time with the 24 hour late July or August.
I agree with you Derek, a later 24 hour would give everyone a chance to get used to the cars in earlier rounds and there would be lots of incentive to do them.

We had planned to do some (but probably not all) of the rounds this season but our car suffered major damage in the 24 hour race and a blown engine; these are all being put right but it takes time and money. We are also committed to the Morgan race series and so have to divide time and resources between the two.

I also agree that if the 24 hour was too late in the season it would not be much fun.

I can anticipate though that the club will have some difficulty in booking a  circuit for a 24 hour race at an affordable price. Grass roots club racing always suffers at the hands of the richer clubs and series.

Paul Robertson

Ooh twelve now thats just so fantastic.Never mind, scrap's quite high at the moment you should get £60/per tonne so about £40 per car
Myatt and Robertson
Williams and Sparrow
Allan + one
Fritchley and Sullivan
Riley and Grant
Crsah Test
Derek Coghill
Frank Barnard
Darren Baker
Nick Roads
Wayne
Aubrey

Nick Roads

any of the dirty dozen above (or the other dozen about to register) planning to test on Friday at Silverstone?, I am thinking of going

also as to general comments on numbers was not the 24 hour number of entrants the highest ever for the club?

I tend to agree with Derek Coghill's comment re: anglesey that it is a little early to panic on numbers however frustrating for those who have to organise all the events.

on a positive note hope to have someone along at Silverstone who wants to run their own car next year

Christian Callander

When we signed up to 2 hours did we plan for the expense?
- We've halved our numbers by doubling the entry cost/track time

2 hours sounds great but are we just seeing we've more ambition than cash?

As a wage slave I think I've spotted a flaw
- £600ish is a fair chunk towards the mortgage. Even £300 is a lot this month, so I can't even offer someone a share.

If we are worried about total cost why one earth do people do trophy races round the carpark? The format and location may be mickey mouse but at least it is containable within one paycheck.

BTW - Gobbing off at the pathetic masses is hurtful. By asking for 2 hour races we, the club, are asking for cheques I can't afford. If that makes me pathetic. Fine.

Ben Allan

Christian,

While everyone has different budget constraints, it is not correct to suggest a cheaper club would mean more members.  There are no cheaper clubs that race bigger grids.  But all the really popular clubs are far more expensive than us (Caterhams, MaX5 etc).

Surely the real problem is that we are not being honest with ourselves as to who the club is and who it is aiming to pull in.  Does the club want more Gentleman Jim's like me who is less affected by the costs than by the time committment?  Or is the club trying to attract more championship racers who want more rounds with more chances to score points or another group?

We cannot please all.  We will loose, and are losing, everyone if we don't focus on one group.  We have to be honest and decide.  We then must make it clear what that means across the whole of the club structure; Calendar, regs, costs, committments etc.

Ben

Paul Robertson

Ben , i would have to say it is almost impossible given the apathy in the club from the majority to begin to find out who wants to do anything.

The last two agm's have been extremely badly attended and this to my mind shows up in the last two seasons racing .
If most people only want to do the 24hr race they should come to the agm and say so.
If they only want to spend £1000 on a seasons racing they should say so ,if they only want to race one day at the weekend they should say so ,if they don't want to travel more than 50 miles from their door they should say so.
If the members want to continue racing they MUST come out and race that is what we are a racing club not a rainy day club .
If they don't we will have one race next year assuming someone organises it,because lets face it ,the barc don't want to organise it and do all the paperwork .That has been done by a very few of us in previous years and generally at a cost to individual members.
We have no club chairman now, who is standing up to be counted ? who is willing to give a large chunk of their free time for the benefit of the club,and lead by example by supporting the club in every way?NO FUCKER
 I am not surprised following the criticism on here that trevor has decided to resign now leaving the club without a figurehead.There are very few who have been as committed to the club, especially under the circumstances of the last few years.To constantly be having to coerce members into entering races should not be happening.
It is a recurring theme on this website now but maybe USE IT OR LOSE IT should become the clubs latest slogan.
As for when the agm is or anything else pertaining to the club i guess that's now up to Wayne and Christine to sort out.

Good luck trevor
and THANK YOU

Derek Coghill

Trevor, remember you stated your concerns regarding washing cars? What happens if you use polish on them?

Just curious to compare; mine now appears to be haunted. When I look at it, there's someone looking back at me.

Must cut down on the lunchtime absinthe....

Geoff Archer

quick question
i have always said how many of you now can go out tonight and blow 500 quid on booze and a good time??

to be honest if you cant you cant afford to race

racing has never been a poormans sport, so as has been said its ok trying to live the dream but it seems few can afford it,

i dont have a suggestion to help, as good ideas have been put forward
i feel this is the last chance saloon,
a few hardcore members cant work it by them selves, 24 hr entries were up yes but that dosnt make a champoinship i wold think that barc may use the total income of the year to see if the 24 hr is viable, at the moment i would say not.

i wont be there at silverstone, but if all the people who attend bring a £1000 pound cheque to put in a pot for up front entries for next year, and also they bring a cheque for the enties for the remaining rounds to,
cos if low entries are for silverstone whos going to pembry??
maybe folks its time to look at you bank balance and relise that arm chair racing is the thing for you!!
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Derek Coghill

Hi Geoff, I'm going to Pembrey; going to Mallory too (both paid for and I have the receipts).

I don't have a spare grand kicking about to bring to silverstone though.