Main Menu

Silverstone ,who's going?

Started by Paul Robertson, July 03, 2007, 11:55:47

Previous topic - Next topic

David Sullivan

This is a copy of an e-mail i sent to Paul this morning

May I suggest a format for consideration for the 2cv championship next year, you may have noticed how successful the legends championship was when we visited Anglesey & their format for races seems very exciting.

3 races with a grid picked at random for race one, race 2 with a reverse grid of race one & a final race with the grid chosen on the results of the 2 previous races (fastest first). These races should be somewhere in the region of 6-8 laps for the first two & up to 10 laps for the final.

Points should be set out so that races one & two are half the points of the final, i.e. 50 for a win in the these two races, 100 for a win in the final etc...

This I feel would give close & exciting racing whilst & racers are getting a good deal (3 races in a weekend, could even be more if we have a double header)

TerryCollier

Hi

Firstly I have no problems with the proposal in concept, but I would like a full picture. It is interesting that we can now apparently get 50 mins racing track time for only £180 this is less than we are paying this year for 1 hour isn't it? How did we manage this? Secondly, taking Helen's point, if we achieve historic levels then we could only get 15 entries at best. This equates to a £3,600 shortfall. I assume we have this money. But what is the contingency plan. If it is to make up any shortfall by raising membership fees then assuming 50 racing members it would mean an increase of £72 per person. I accept that I am generalising a little on numbers but the downside implications do exist. I think that we should have the information to hand in order to give full consideration.

Surely this meeting can only be for discussion not voting!

Terry Collier :?:
Team Collier Racing

Ben Allan

Terry,

I think the plan is that we come to agreements for next actions which may include formatting motions for an EGM or postal votes.  

So actually more like a decission (vote) than just a discussion.

Ben

Trevor Williams

Ben
Don't know where you get the idea that a postal vote would be legal. I suggest anyone intending to turn up for the discussion reads the rules of the club

Derek
Wouldn't that be exactly like the sprint / enduro format we were running a few years back? Wasn't exactly popular in the last few years

Terry,
I agree that we need FULL details and costings in order to even consider Steve's proposal

Cheers
Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Frank Barnard

In general I think the Steve Panas & Co proposal is the best so far. But how would such a programme work out re.dates? It needs to be a 'proper' season and not artificially compressed to allow for the 24-Hours to be the climax. Not following motor-sport so closely these days I hadn't realised the 24-hours of Silverstone happens in September, as someone pointed out. Nonetheless, maybe something could be worked out so the programme could run a reasonable course and the year could be rounded-off satisfactorily...
A general point. There's been some good, thoughtful stuff posted and I do hope suggestions at the Silverstone Summit are given due consideration, even if they've been tried before & failed or someone hasn't perhaps read all the small print. There may still be a germ of sense, something usable in what is put forward. Those attending, plus those who've contributed to the Forum, are the one's who've at least roused themselves to think about the situation. It's the resounding silence from the rest that must be unnerving. A couple of hundred hits, for example, but how many replies?
Finally, publicity-wise 2CV racing seems to have fallen off the front page, or any page come to that. I checked Autosport for a report on Anglesey and the only mention was in the results. No comment at all on the races themselves. I reckon the Club has cause for complaint to Autosport editorial. Perhaps more active promotion is an area where some of the Club funds might be invested. It doesn't have to cost the earth. Good PR can be quite cheap compared to advertising. A decent press release costs the paper it goes out on...and no doubt we could all generate some publicity wheezes like celebrity cars, win a test day, run a promotional road-going racer in the newly revived Tour Of Britain etc etc

helen deeley

Can I suggest that we run next season in the same format as this year, keeping the enduro races & the 24hr in May as is, and do a similar thing to what happened at Anglesey, ie BARC set the fees, and then the club does a refund/ subsidy in the form of a cheque after the race to all those who turn up & take part?
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Paul Robertson

What the hell does the clubs rules have to do with THIS meeting? is it a formal meeting called by the club ?NO.
The costings are based on the club using its reserves to subsidise the championship and definitely stack up.
However other people have ideas of their own and they need to be discussed ,so that we can go to the agm with a plan that every member is aware of beforehand.

Ainslie Bousfield

Hi everyone.

Just a quick note to say can you look at my post under the anglesey subside heading.

If you disagree with what I have put, then please find me before the meeting and have a chat then. Please dont bottle anything up for the meeting.

All those that frequent the forum need to be aware that many members do not. They, particularly, need to be able to have their say at meeting. They do not use the opportunity on here.

Lets hope that Wayne's marquee is far too small a venue to hold the meeting. I will suggest our treasurer will ask Silverstone for the loan of a building.

Perhaps we need to start the meeting at Silverstone (EGM not AGM) with a group hug. Where is the Lurve man?

David Sullivan

Ainslie you have read my comments on the forum, whilst i agree with you on the fact that what haapened at anglesey might have gone against club rules it sure as was the right thing to do!

In the end its a meeting between club members to talk about taking the club forward, it should not be a slagging match about what has happened in the past because thats exactly what it is, the past. The only discusion at the meeting should be about the future! See you all at silverstone.

Mary Lindsay

QuoteAll those that frequent the forum need to be aware that many members do not. They, particularly, need to be able to have their say at meeting. They do not use the opportunity on here.
That is a very valid point, there are plenty of people who don't find the internet a natural medium for expressing their views and are not comfortable with using forums, indeed may never have used one.

I am sure that I will be told that circular letters have not worked inthe past but I do think the club owes it to non-forum members to be made aware in writing of what is going on, they may be in a state of blissful ignorance. It will of course be too late for them to be told of the meeting this weekend.

David Sullivan

But why? this is not an official meeting of the club in anyway & has no standing in club regulations, its a meeting to see which direction the club should be looking in for which everything will be discussed properly at the AGM later in the year!

Mary Lindsay

I know it is an unofficial meeting and it is often at such meetings that the best decisions are made.

I just thought it might help to involve the wider membership in the apparent crisis.

Derek Harnett

For the benefit of those of us unable to attend (and yet interested in the outcome!), any news for us from the meeting?

Paul Robertson

It was decided to call all members and car owners to try and find out why they are keeping their cars in storage and if they would support steve and my proposal (or at least some of it ) and if they would be prepared to pay in advance.
So expect a phone call soon.
The date for the agm was discussed as was the temporary appointment of a new chairperson although i don't think it is my place to report either of these as it should be done by an officer of the club.
The use of club funds to subsidise racing was discussed and most people thought it to be a good idea.
The need for members to attend the agm was also discussed as there were more members at this informal meeting than at last years agm.
In all most people thought it to be a useful chat to move things forward from.