Main Menu

Moving The 24hr Race?

Started by David Sullivan, July 06, 2007, 13:47:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Should The 24hr Race Be Run Later In The Season In A Bid To Improve Championship Grids

I would enter the 24hr race whenever it was, along with the majority of other championship rounds
6 (46.2%)
Yes - A more you race, less you pay incentive would make me enter more rounds before the 24hrs
4 (30.8%)
Yes- The main reason i dont enter rounds after the 24hrs is that the car often needs repairing after the 24hr & this takes up too much time
1 (7.7%)
No - I would still only enter the race before the 24hrs to give the car out
0 (0%)
No - I'll be on holiday later in the season & wont be able to do the 24hr as my missus/hubby/children/parents/dog* (*delete as appropriate) wont see a weekend at a wet/cold race circuit as a substitute for the beach
0 (0%)
I only ever do the 24hrs anyway & never any other championship rounds
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 20, 2007, 13:47:31

David Sullivan

With a few posts on the forum along the lines of:
Would be better if it was the last race of the season and the entryfee somehow linked to how many rounds your car had done .
The more you support the club the less you pay .

&

End of season 24hr race makes huge sense to me. Newcomers have all season to try out their cars in earlier championship rounds and the wear and tear on the cars from the 24hr doesn't affect other races. You build up to the season highlight rather than having it in May and the rest of the season in it's shadow.

The poll will run in the 14 day build up to Silverstone & will hopefully give some idea as to the direction the club should be goingregarding the staging of the 24hr race.

Mary Lindsay

It might be an idea to post this voting form under the 24 Hour race heading too.

Trevor Williams

Before everyone starts harping on about moving the date of the 24 hour race later in the year, just look at the history
On this website there are reports of the 24 hour race going back to 1997. Guess what the latest that it was held? 20th July

And another thing, this was when we were doing 10 to 13 rounds per season!!!!

The fact is people dont want top bring their cars out. Result, the club disappears in ever decreasing circles

Solution? GET YOUR CARS OUT!!!!
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Derek Harnett

There's a simple reason for the dates being clustered where they were - the closer you get to June 21st the more day light hours you have.

Yep, going back a while there wasn't a problem with numbers.  Now there is and it needs to be addressed.  

I have a suspicion that shouting at people to bring their cars out is not going to solve the problem.

The suggestion of a late date might or might not be a solution.  At least let people discuss it.  If there's a lot of support then why not try it?

Trevor Williams

Derek
We are limited to two tracks in this country that have the necessary licence to run a 24 hour race, Silverstone and Snetterton. Of the two, Snetterton is the most cost effective.
That however is a relative term. To be cost effective BARC have to run the race over a bank holiday weekend to enable them to get enough support races on the bill to keep the costs to the 2cv racing club down. The bank holidays in the uk are Easter, Early May, Late May, August and the Christmas / New Year ones
The Sponsored events (BTCC, Great & British, WSB, BSB, A1GP etc) all take precedence over club sport
The fact that once again we are struggling to get people out to race, when other series are pushing for qualification races does not help in the slightest.
I am not shouting, though I am annoyed that for the past few years we have given people what they wanted and they still cant be bothered to come out and race

Derek Coghill

The first year that I went racing there were 4 or 5 meetings before the 24hr race, and (I think) roughly the same number after it. That doesn't compare particularly with this year as they were all sprints. The one that I miss in particular is the end-of-season one with the trucks at Donington which was always a hoot. And the more northerly ones of course...

If the series remains in its current format then having the 24hr later is probably sensible, but I wouldn't have it right at the end; remember it's also a 2CVGB event, and camping for anyone gets less pleasant as the year goes on......having said that, last weekend was none too pleasant and it was June!

And the marshals won't want to risk frostbite, either.

Frank Barnard

Re.alternative venues for the 24 Hours, whenever it might take place, has anyone considered Rockingham tohe so-called forgotten British circuit, nicely placed in the Midlands and with all the facilities you could ever ask for?

Trevor Williams

Right in the middle of a proposed housing development, not a chance! And I for one will NEVER race at the place

Also, what part of "the only two tracks with a licence for a 24 hour race are Silverstone and Snetterton" don't people understand??????????

Mary Lindsay

I suppose another solution would be to make the 24 hour race the equivalent of several rounds of the championship rolled into one. You have the maximum number of cars concentrated in one place at the same time.

Geoff Archer

Quote from: "Trevor Williams"Right in the middle of a proposed housing development, not a chance! And I for one will NEVER race at the place

Also, what part of "the only two tracks with a licence for a 24 hour race are Silverstone and Snetterton" don't people understand??????????
teeside has, if behind closed doors
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Frank Barnard

This is an interesting and quite constructive debate about not only what might be done to build on the success of the 24 Hours but also the future of the Club itself. I think it would be helpful if the debators strove to remain open-minded and a bit less dimissive, even if someone (okay, me) hasn't read the small print carefully!

Roy Eastwood

This is an interesting idea but the poll won't reach the people it needs to, i.e. the 'less comitted' 24hrs only entrants.

As someone who has not raced for a couple of years, with a nearly race-ready car 'in the wings', I would favour the later date simply because the '24 hour only' contestants will at least use other rounds as 'practice'.

Frank Barnard

I understand the BARC's view about Bank Holidays being necessary to generate the entries from other classes, and keep our Club costs down, but it is a bit limiting isn't it? Here's another clay pigeon that will no doubt be shot down. The Belgians stage Spa in November, with no apparent problems, including saying to hell with the weather. Would the Snett circuit hire be less punishing if the 24 Hours was staged there when no-else wanted it? It always seem to me that the UK club season could be prolonged. Winter could hardly be worse than summer, after all. And I have fond memories of racing at Brands on Boxing Day...

helen deeley

Quote from: "Frank Barnard"including saying to hell with the weather.

And I have fond memories of racing at Brands on Boxing Day...

I thought we said to hell with the weather at Snett this year
& I can't see Christmas working, what with the family commitments that most people have. Although if anyone is up for racing on Boxing day how about looking into the Plum Pudding meet at Mallory?
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Ainslie Bousfield

regarding the vote

None of the above

But it was a good try to gauge opinion