Main Menu

Anglesey Subsidy

Started by Ainslie Bousfield, July 09, 2007, 22:22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Lindsay

So do you think there is now no hope at all?

Paul Robertson

In the late nineties we changed from a sprint only to sprint and a 1 hour race ,this was well supported for quite a few years ,however as entry fees rose members started comment on how expensive the racing was becoming(£2000 plus per driver).We reduced the number of rounds and kept a level ish entry going .
 In the past 3 years we have seen a steady decline in entries as have a lot of championships and we have reduced the number of rounds to give more time for fettling between races and to reduce the annual entry cost.
The move to enduro's only was to give better value for money and should have seen entry fees of less than £1000 per driver for the season ,for whatever reason this did not occur and entry fees are more like £1300 .
The 24hr race always seem to attract around 30 / 35 cars and has remained this way for the past ten years.Unfortunately a lot of them nowadays race in other series and have bought cars just to do the 24hr(no i'm not criticising just stating fact) There are somewhere in the region of 55 cars out there, we need less than half to race on a regular basis, we are only just getting a quarter of them .
What we do next year will have to be down to the majority and not the minority as it is at the moment.If the majority don't want to race that is what we will have to do.

Trevor Williams

Mary,
No, just sick and tired of doing what I can and just receiving criticism

Time for someone else to have a go

Trevor
Some days, it's REALLY difficult being me!

Mary Lindsay

Trevor,
I really do sympathise with you. I have been involved in organising events and trying to drum up entries and it does make you wonder why it is such hard work trying to persuade people to do something which they say they enjoy doing.

Geoff Archer

ainslie your right, what a shame a racing club has spent its cash on RACING, you know cos it would be so much better sat in the bank as the series collapsed,
NES 2cv Speed Shop
+44 (0)1609 771313

Ainslie Bousfield

As we have all seemed to have calmed down I feel I should clarify my position which may have been misrepresented by other posts.

Firstly, lets assume for sake of arguement that we all like 2Cv's, love racing, enjoy each others company and want the club to grow.

Secondly, for those that dont know I have been racing 2cv's for 10 years now and usually only miss one meeting a year although I havent had my own car out for 4 years. I am only explaining this to give those that dont know me some background.

For clarity I will also explain my opinions further.

The members of the club are key to its survival. The members that race are those that keep the championship alive and must be supported completely, but not exclusively.

Every member should see it as his duty to the club to attend the AGM. I see this as critical, as decisions are taken at the AGM that effect our championship. If you want to have a say in the direction of the club you have to attend.

The majority voted for the Endurance only format. It was a small majority but once decided upon, all those at the AGM agreed to support the format for the year and then review it at the end of the season. It must also be said that I believe all those that voted in favour of endurance races have supported the format very well. Unfortunately though, only 13 people voted in favour at the AGM for endurances and this seems to be the number of cars we attract to the meetings

Regarding finances.

I am fully aware we are a racing club not a savings club

Again for those that are not aware and for background information I can speak quite concisely on these as Tracey Dixon complied the club accounts for the AGM.

Many figures are thrown about regard how much money the club does or does not have. These were published at the AGM but for those that were not there, at the end of year we had £14,761 in total. This compares to £6,898 at the end of 2002. This equates to a typical growth (or 'profit') of £1,965 per year.

This year so far we have made additional investments in stock for the club shop and promotional items for sale. ( I do not have a figure for these and understand it will be self funding once the stock has be realised.) We have also supplied stickers for car livery. (last year these amounted to £1,600.)

There has also been a subside paid to the entries at Anglesey of approximately £2,500. which is were I started.

At present the costs this year would conservatively reduced our funds to that of 2004. Again just a statement. IF the subside was also give at 2 further races this season this would then be take the balance close to zero.

I understand that due to the excellent job that the 24 hour committee did in organising the event and also in negotiations with BARC that this may prove to supply a significant increase in club funds, and although we are a racing club not a savings club I am sure that we would all agree this would be excellent news. BUT until we get a final figure from BARC and have taken all the costs of the event in to account such as food, trophies, stickers etc we must remain cautiously optimistic on the results and not spend what we do not already have.

With reference to future championship structures, it has been discussed we buy track time from BARC up front for the season to obtain a better deal and racing format for the club. With this proposal it should be noted that the club will need sizeable funds to achieve this prepayment. Obviously if successful this will give maximum benefit to racing members whilst recovering costs as the season proceeded.

So there you go. No doubt others will disagree, but to condense this down.

We must keep the club going for the benefit of all members. We should not allocate funds until we know exactly how much we have got. We should all go to AGM. We should all have a vote on our future.

PS If it was not too late for proposal for the AGM. Why not start with a proposal such as 'all racing members of the 2CV racing clubs will have their membership refunded at the end of the season if they have entered their car in all the races of that season'.

Paul Robertson

Ainslie i do beleive it's only technical matters that have to be submitted before 1st of july so you can propose this.
However i believe the club should run on its membership fees and any income earned from the 24hr race should be put into subsidising the following seasons racing .

Richard Knight

I'm sure this has probably been done - but what about putting a regular advert in the 2cvgb news.  Its very cheap!

Or Autosport or Motoring news etc.  I know the Caterham's did a thing -  a years entry, Ards, all kit  for I think about £20K plus a free car.

Just trying to help

Rich

Visit www.dontworktoohard.com

2cv gift shop