Main Menu

Well done Trevor

Started by Martin Harrold, July 11, 2007, 23:00:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Harrold

I'm sorry, but not surprised, that Trevor has decided to stand down. He and I have not always seen eye to eye, but there is absolutely no-one who's worked harder for the members than he has. He's often made difficult decisions, a few of which, with hindsight, I guess he might feel that he might have done differently. But, things often have to be decided in the heat of the moment, which is the lot of the Chairman. Clever comments later by contributors to the forum aren't always helpful. So, well done to you Trevor, and sincere thanks from me and my team.

We did the full season, I think, twice, some years ago. I still bore my friends telling them about racing at Spa. We had a great time doing all those races, but it swallowed money and time. Since then, we've done occasional races, plus every 24hr. I think a lot of people come into racing, have a burst for a year or two, then other pressures divert them away from it. I'm rather proud that we've done nine 24hrs, even though I fully recognise, like most members, that the club is unlikely to survive on that event alone.

I've followed the regular desperate efforts of Trevor and Paul to try to assemble race fields. I know that every car owner has all sorts of time and financial pressures. I knew as soon as I saw the '07 calendar that for various reasons, we would only be able to do the 24hr and probably Pembrey this year, so, I've kept out of most forum discussions.

The proposal being circulated for '08, which I understand to be that the series will only go ahead if an agreed minimum of cars are entered and the full seasons entry fees are paid for each in advance, seems very sound. I also think that running the 24hr later in the Summer is a good idea. If the idea is accepted, then whoever is running the club in '08 will at least know at the start of the year whether there is a race series, and won't have to chase entries all season.

In fact, I'm already thinking about whether we might be able to put a package together do the full season next year. I've always been a fan of enduros, but I can see now that shorter races might be more fun. I'm not getting any younger, or any quicker, but hey, who did not enjoy balancing huge understeer round Coram, foot (almost) flat, in the night, in the driving rain and howling cold wind ?

I do hope that the next races get enough entries to keep BARC at bay, for I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to race at Pembrey and in '08.
2CV Team LION
2CVParts.com Champions 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021 & 2022
CITROEN 2CV 24 Hour race winners, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 & 2022
m: 07973 303982

Mary Lindsay

Well said Martin, I am a newcomer to the series but I can see how hard it has been for Trevor and I have expressed my appreciation for his efforts eslewhere in the forum.

It is very easy to criticise when you aren't in the hot seat having to make difficult decisions but hard to find volunteers to help get anything done.

If entry fees are all to be paid up front I think this might cause cash flow problems for some members although I can see the sense in it.

We bought our car intending to do not only the 24 hour but also one or two of the other rounds. As things turned out this has not yet proved possible because we are still sorting her out after the 24 hour. I also follow another race series and my loyalties and time are therefore divided. Because of personal commitments I have not been able to do all of the rounds in that series either.

I would be very sorry to see the 2CV Club in greater decline as I would like to my son and the son of our team manager in this year's 24 hour to have a go next season.

pat collier

Just to add my thoughts and thanks to the officers and members of the club as a whole...

Through out the various years , I have in the back ground had some fun with the 2cv club, not just the 11 24 hours but also the Collier racing journey of trying to build a winning car and engine package... Without the 2cv Club and the challenges that ensued I would not have had that.

I do appreciate that in many ways being on an organising comittee is a thankless job not least for the spokesman or chairman who is always being shot at by someone. So trevor thankyou for your efforts.

AS to the question of pre paying for racing fees etc etc I would be happy to assist the club in arranging a financing package for those fees, which would to some degree alieviate the how do I find £3k question...

I agree with most of the comments above, and apologise that I have been a 24 hour charlie...

I would also, if it was felt I would be of benefit, assist the club in the future.

helen deeley

Pat, surely anyones assistance in the running/ organising/etc will be of benefit to the club??!! Otherwise there won't be a club to run for much longer.
Paddock Hill Bend is not flat in top!

Ainslie Bousfield

Yes thanks Trevor for all your work for the club over the last few years.

At least the previous posts prove it is not a thank-less task.

A fine example of the difficulty of the job is that we have no one prepared to step in to his shoes.

I think that those that are involved with the club know the job has never been more crucial and more demanding.

I really think that an enlarged team of committed individuals must come forward to reduce the Chairmans role to something that someone would be honoured to do.

So anybody out there that can juggle sand and herd cats?